UMC Conferences Come Together to Offer Help – and Hope – in Puerto Rico
Forty members of our joint mission team from the East Ohio Conference and the Western Pennsylvania Conference spent the last week of June in Patillas, Puerto Rico, on the southeast coast of the island just west of where Hurricane Maria hit land in September 2017. People there are still recovering from the physical and emotional toll left behind in the wake of the deadly hurricane. Article …
Missionary to Share Stories of His Ministry
The Rev. Matthew A. Laferty, a missionary with the General Board of Global Ministries of The United Methodist Church serving as pastor of the English Speaking United Methodist Church (ESUMC) in Vienna, Austria, returns to his native East Ohio Conference home for a presentation at The Epworth Center.
The Monday, July 30 event will begin at 5:30 p.m. with a dinner and fellowship followed by Laferty sharing about his life as a missionary in Russia and Austria. A love offering will be collected during the meal. The evening will conclude by 8:00 p.m. with an update on local missions in our own backyard.
For more information, send an e-mail to Epworth Center Director Deaconess Sherri Buehl or call the Center at (740) 484-4705.
Western Pennsylvania Conference Offers 2-day Preaching Seminar
Join preachers from across the North and Southeast Methodist connection on September 24-25 for a time of proclaimation, inspiration and fellowship. They will preach and teach based upon the following topics:
- Preach: for Vision
- Preach: for Millenials
- Preach: for Ethnic & Cultural Social Justice
- Preach: for Transformation
- Preach: for Revival
Registration is now open and several slots are still available. Hotel rooms at a discount are located directly across the lot from the venue. For more details and to register use this link.
MTSO Makes Incredible Tuition Offer
Methodist Theological School in Ohio (MTSO), and its generous donors, offers every qualified applicant who pursues United Methodist candidacy an opportunity to earn a Master’s degree with no out-of-pocket tuition expenses.
This commitment is extended to every qualified prospective student who pursues United Methodist candidacy as an elder or deacon and applies to a Master’s degree program by Aug. 1, 2018, for the 2018-19 academic year.
MTSO financial aid experts will assist each applicant in locating and applying for scholarships, and if those sources don’t cover an applicant’s full tuition, MTSO and its donors will make up the difference!
Interested prospective students are invited to contact an MTSO admissions counselor at (800) 333-6876 or email@example.com by Aug. 1 to learn more.
Social Media Webinars
The United Methodist Communications Public Information Team is hosting a webinar, Live Q&A: Social Media for Churches, July 26 (noon CT) to support local churches as they strive to embrace social media and its uses for outreach and ministry. The webinar is free and appropriate for users at all experience levels; the events will feature experts answering questions and sharing information about strategies, tips, best practices and more. Need more details? Email PressCenter@UMCom.org.
Pastoral Care and Counseling
In the July 16 issue we address: Jesus models loving respect, openness to all perspectives, honoring the sacred everywhere, loving-kindness takes time, understand your hunger and balancing your energy.
- A Way Forward: Jesus and St. Francis Model Loving Respect for All
- God, Gender, Sex and Marriage
- Making Everyday Spaces Sacred
- Why Loving-Kindness Takes Time
- 30 Reasons Why You Are Always Hungry
- Audio: Guided Meditation for Balancing Your Energy
- Listings of our Spiritual Directors
If you have any questions or issues you would like for us to address or if you would like to receive e-mail alerts when new resources have been posted, please contact Howard Humphress at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our quick contact form.
The Media Center recently acquired the following resources:
- Absolute Basics of the Christian Faith is a visual introduction to the core beliefs of the Christian faith bringing catechesis to life for people of all ages, backgrounds, and stops along their spiritual journey.
- The Band Meeting; Rediscovering Discipleship in Transformational Community gives an overview of a proven discipleship model for growing in love through the accountability of small, same-gender groups.
- By Signs and Wonders; How the Holy Spirit Grows the Church provides laity and Christian leaders with a critically important insight in how to more effectively evangelize a lost and dying world.
- Encounter Jesus; A Personal Guidebook explores passages from across the four gospels, each highlighting a key facet of Jesus’s life and work. Learn to walk with THE Jesus of the Bible and not just the Jesus you want him to be.
Message in the Movies
RBG Every so often a really good film is attached to a bland title. Such is the case for RBG, a terrific documentary that tells the story of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 85 years old and still going strong.
Are you traveling this summer? If so, don’t forget to let your Credit Union know! Before traveling, notify one of our member service representatives at The United Methodist Financial Credit Union. That way, you don’t run into any issues using your debit or credit cards!
The United Methodist Financial Credit Union partners with over 330 different credit unions nationwide to provide our members with more options to do your personal banking. Since we partner with all of these other credit unions, you can go to any of their locations and walk in to make a deposit to or withdraw from your United Methodist Financial Credit Union account!
All you need is this:
- Know your account number
- Have your government-issued photo ID ready
- Enter your zip code into the Co-op Shared Branch locator to find a participating branch near you
Events: July 16 – July 29
- Mon, Jul 16 to Fri, Jul 20
2018 East Ohio Ministerial Recruitment Institute (MRI) @ Baldwin Wallace University
- Fri, Jul 20
Gospel Bluegrass Jam @ Manchester United Methodist Church
- Sun, Jul 22
Ice Cream Social @ Mt. Zion UMC
- Thu, Jul 26
Back-To-School Supply Carnival & Info Fair @ Bucyrus UMC Outreach Center
- Sat, Jul 28
Red Haw UMC Cruise In @ Red Haw UMC
To submit your event to the East Ohio calendar use this form.
(The East Ohio Conference only accepts East Ohio United Methodist local church, conference and general UM events for listing on the conference calendar.)
- Choir Director/Accompanist, Millersburg UMC
- Director of Adult and Carol Choirs, Faith UMC, North Canton
- Worship Arts Coordinator, Faith UMC, North Canton
- Full-Time Youth Minister and Ministry Assistant, First UMC of Ravenna
- Interns, Kent UMC
- District Administrative Assistant, Tuscarawas District of the East Ohio Conference
- Executive Secretary to the Bishop, East Ohio Conference Area Center
- Administrative Assistant to the Director of Connectional Ministries, East Ohio Conference Area Center
- Organist/Pianist/Accompanist, Wooster UMC
- Choir Director, Christ UMC, Cleveland westside
- Organist, UMC of Kent
- Children/Teen Program Director, Canton Calvary Mission
To submit a classified ad please email email@example.com
Subscribe to E-news and all East Ohio Conference news updates, Enter your email address in the “Follow News via Email” widget on the right sidebar.
Information from this E-News may be copied and used in your local church.
The next scheduled edition of the E-News is Monday, July 30, 2018. Deadline for submission is Wednesday, July 25.