July 18, 2016
Bishop Tracy S. Malone Assigned to East Ohio
Bishop Tracy S. Malone has been assigned as resident bishop of the East Ohio Conference of The United Methodist Church effective September 1.
She was serving as the district superintendent of the Chicago Southern Region of Northern Illinois and was dean of the Cabinet when she was elected to the Episcopacy on July 13. Prior to her appointment as superintendent, she served as the senior pastor of Gary United Methodist Church in Wheaton, Illinois.
Bishop Malone is married to Derrick Malone and they have two daughters, Alexis and Ashley.
North Central Jurisdictional Conference 2016
Bishop Malone was the first of four new bishops elected at the North Central Jurisdictional Conference 2016 held in Peoria, Illinois.
Bishop Frank Beard, a pastor in the Indiana Conference, Bishop David Bard, a pastor in the Minnesota Conference, and Bishop Laurie Haller, a pastor in the Detroit Conference, were the other three bishops elected.
Sept 22-23 Pension Seminar
Calling all active clergy regardless of age. What do you know of the benefits provided by the church? What has changed in pension eligibility? How does your pension accumulate? Who owns it? How is it invested? The East Ohio Conference Board of Pensions is sponsoring two (2) one-day seminars to answer these questions and a multitude of other benefit related concerns. There is no cost to the participant! Spouses are welcome.
Deadline for registration is Friday, September 16. Please note: Seating is limited. Reservations are a must for every person attending (this includes spouses – they must register as well) No walk-ins will be allowed as personalized information is prepared and provided.
The seminar will be offered Thursday and Friday from 9:00 am – 3:30 pm at the EOC Area Center. To register.
Mission Training Events
- September 10
Mission 50/50 Partnership Conversations
Enjoy a day of fellowship and conversation to learn about building effective mission partnerships locally, nationally, and internationally. This is a time for conversation and learning about ways in which 50/50 partnerships improve the integrity and effectiveness of our mission activity. How can we better discern God’s will and plan through meaningful conversations with the communities we seek to serve? Registration deadline is September 1. For full details.
- October 8
Youth Mission Roundtable
Roundtable discussions include: organizing a youth team, recruiting adults, finding a location, and discussing what works and what doesn’t work. Hear from experienced youth mission leaders and alumni of youth missions about how the mission journey impacts the lives of youth and the people they serve. Find ways to encourage encountering Christ in the midst of the organized chaos of youth mission. Cost is free. Registration deadline is October 1. Registration is required for planning purposes. For full details.
- November 5
Team Leader Training
Enjoy a day of fellowship and conversation to learn about leading a mission team locally, nationally, and internationally. Cost is $35.00. The Mission Journey will be available for purchase at $17.00. This is an additional text developed by Global Missions to serve as an accompaniment handbook to the Team Leader Manual. You can include this amount with your registration or you can purchase it the day of the event. Deadline for registration is October 29. For full details
Pastoral Care and Counseling
July 18, 2016 Resources
In this edition we feature:
- Third Annual Mid-Summer Spiritual Formation Retreat–August 17, “Listening for the Heartbeat of God”
- Video: Heart-Wrenching Poem on Depression What You Don’t Know About Depression
- Necessary Falling Apart, Richard Rohr
- Podcast: Rabbi Rami Interviews Hugh Byrne—The Here and the Now Habit
- Finding Your Way through Difficulty with Mindfulness
- Listings of Spiritual Formation Groups and Spiritual Directors
The Media Center recently acquired the following resources:
- 33 The Series: A Man and His Work Vol 4 is designed to inspire and equip men to pursue authentic manhood as modeled by Jesus Christ in His 33 years on earth. Explores the basic foundations of authentic manhood and God’s clear design for men.
- Gospel Shaped Work is about marrying our church life and our work life together. It’s not just about bolting on Christian bits to my working life, but seeing that everything in my life is connected to the gospel.
- Mission of Jesus, Triumph of God’s Kingdom in a Broken World by Ray Vander Laan guides viewers on Jesus’ path through Israel – while exploring the rule of ancient Rome – and reveals how God brought triumph in a world of chaos.
- Relat(able); Making Relationships Work by Louie Giglio explores the fundamental questions of what makes us relatable to others. He shows how God can change our perspective on relationships, bring us peace in the midst of conflict, and help us restore relationships that seem broken beyond repair.
Message in the Movies
Movie review by Bruce Batchlor-Glader
Photo by EOne Films
Eye in The Sky/Good Kill “That’s drone warfare for you and it’s currently the most popular way for the U.S. military to take down terrorists. After all, if you are after just a couple of persons, why bring in the troops and surround a building when you can take care of things via satellite control? I’m not exaggerating the pervasiveness of drone warfare. The U.S. Director of National Intelligence reported recently that from 2009-2015 there were 471 air strikes (primarily with UAVs – Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) that killed approximately 2,500 combatants and 100 non-combatants. Ask around and it’s not hard to know someone whose son or daughter is active in the military’s drone program. Two recent films are focused on drone warfare and the ethical decisions that surround this type of warfare.” For full review.
- Music Director, Mulberry Street UMC
- House Supervisor, Support Professionals, Licensed Practical Nurse, Flat Rock Homes
- Director of Christian Education, Huron UMC
- Organist/Choir Accompanist/Bell Choir Director, Massillon First UMC
- Director of Communications, West Ohio Conference
- Adult Nursery Worker, Leroy UMC
- Custodian, Director of Christian Education, Youth Coordinator, Painesville UMC
Events – July 18-August 1
Dates to Remember
Safe Sanctuaries Training Event
Please pray for the famiies of:
- Robert S. Wagner, retired elder, who died July 11, 2016 and
- Alice Elmquist, retired provisional member, who died July 7, 2016.
To subscribe to the East Ohio E-News, please send your request to Lois Speelman. Information from this E-News may be copied and used in your local church.
The next scheduled edition of the E-News will be August 1, 2016. Deadline to submit an article is July 27.
Don’t wish to receive future E-News notices? Send an e-mail, with Remove Name in the subject line, to Lois Speelman