Appointments and Changes of Status
Bishop Tracy S. Malone, in the past two weeks, has announced the following East Ohio Conference clergy appointments:
- Greg Bush | East Springfield Christ UMC, OV
- D. Anthony Everett | University Circle UMC (Kentucky Annual Conference ¶346.1) , NC
- Vicky Kelley | Girard & Woodland Park UMCs, MV
- Eric Kluth | Mogadore UMC, CN
- Don Kuntz | Sandusky Trinity UMC, FL
- Randy May | Geneva UMC, WR
- Shane Russo | Girard & Woodland Park UMCs, MV
- Stanley Dunk | retiring from Extension Ministry: Otterbein Hospice
- Jon Heavilin | retiring from New Pittsburg UMC, NC
- Monica Huntsman | Discontinued, TR
- Janet Stengel | Medical Leave
- Dale Thomas | retiring from Milan Edison Memorial UMC, FL
- Scott Williams | retiring from Bayard Community & East Rochester UMCs, TW
Districts Key: (CN) Canal, (FL) Firelands, (MO) Mid-Ohio, (MV) Mahoning Valley, (NC) North Coast, (OV) Ohio Valley, (SH) Southern Hills, (TR) Three Rivers, (TW) Tuscarawas, (WR) Western Reserve
Students Protest to Change Gun Control Laws
Chants of “enough is enough!” rang out from hundreds of Berea-Midpark High School students as they walked out of class on March 14 to protest the current gun control laws in the United States.
The walkout at BMHS, and at hundreds of other schools across the country, came on the one-month anniversary of the deadly shooting inside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.
“The issue of gun violence that prompted today’s walkout is one that our community and our congregation is concerned with and I think it’s always important for the church to show up and be a witness for what we believe when there’s an issue that impacts our neighbors,” said UMC Berea Senior Pastor the Rev. Nathan Howe. He, and others from UMC Berea, were on hand at the school praying for the students during their march.
2017 Clergy Directory
The 2017 East Ohio Conference Clergy Directory is available for viewing and download on the Conference website, in the drop down menu under the Clergy tab. Download a personal copy by clicking on this link. Once the pdf has fully opened, click on the download arrow in the upper right corner of the page.
Methodism on Fire: Methodism and the Holy Spirit
April 20-21 at Salem UMC, the Mahoning Valley District will host Methodism on Fire, a retreat celebrating the working of the Holy Spirit in the life of the church. United Theological Seminary professors Dr. Peter Bellini and Dr. Luther Oconer will be the keynote speakers.
Cost is $20 and includes a continental breakfast and a luncheon on Saturday, April 21. The closing worship service of the retreat will also be the opening worship service for the Mahoning Valley Spring District Conference.
Free Leadership Development Webinar
Tues., May 8 @ 7:00 PM CDT – Developing New Leaders: Partnering with Schools, Businesses, and Non-Profits – Is your community changing? Who are your new leaders? How does community transformation shape contextual ministry in your area? Is building key relationships within the community challenging? What should the focus be, and where should the church begin to develop its outreach mission? This webinar will explore general community information to help congregational leaders gain a greater understanding of needs, challenges, discipleship practices and ministry opportunities.
EOC Summer Camp
Join the EOC Summer Camp Staff
Camp Aldersgate, Camp Asbury, and Camp Wanake are looking for outstanding Christian young men and young women to join our summer staffs. Camp staff members are vital parts of the powerful, life-changing experience campers have each summer as they learn about God and take the next steps in their faith journey.
Available staff positions include counselors, lifeguards, program staff, adventure staff, food service, special needs staff, administration, and maintenance crew.
East Ohio Camps and Retreat Ministries offer great Christian community, excellent training, free room and board, opportunities for ministry, and the chance for staff to expand their leadership skills. If you are interested in working at one of our sites this summer, click here to begin the application process.
Camp Wanake Preview Day & Resurrection Egg Hunt
On Saturday, April 7 from 2:00 – 6:00 p.m. celebrate Christ’s resurrection and see what Wanake summer camp has to offer – all in the same visit! The events are free and everyone is invited to attend. Camp Wanake is located at 9463 Manchester Ave. SW in Beach City.
The egg hunt is for children, infant through high school. Registration for the hunt begins at 2:00 p.m. At 2:30 p.m. the egg hunt starts, complete with prize eggs, candy, and awesome prizes – like up to $100 camperships for summer camp.
Camp preview begins at 4:00 p.m., including great activities like wagon tours of camp, pony rides, rock climbing, and more! When you invite a friend to the preview day, you and your friend/friend’s family will get an extra entry into the grand prize drawings for $100 camperships!
Kids Need Camp
Today, like never before, teens and pre-teens are under tremendous pressure. Self-doubt, peer pressure, substance abuse, self-injury and a myriad of harmful voices nag at kids every day. Even kids who have a strong support structure face obstacles. Camp provides opportunities for kids to pull away and get a breather – to catch a vision for the bigger picture of their lives. Kids need the Power of Camp. Contact your local church, call the East Ohio Conference Camping Office at 1 (330) 499-3972 ext. 108, or visit us on the web.
Bring a Friend to Camp!
Don’t tell your friend about camp – bring them with you! Experience together your cool counselors, the new kids you meet, and the great adventures and challenges that you find at camp. Find all you need to register online, or get a Summer Camps brochure by sending an e-mail to email@example.com or calling us at (330) 499-3972 ext. 108.
Unfortunately, natural disasters have become an all-too-familiar occurrence. When hurricanes caused major devastation in Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico and beyond in the fall of 2017, United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) went to work. Initially Early Response Teams from conferences neighboring the disaster area were deployed. Invitations have now been extended to our conference to come to Puerto Rico and help in the long-term rebuilding efforts.
The East Ohio Conference is coordinating two UMVIM teams to Puerto Rico. Cost for each team member is $1,200-1,500. Teams will fly into and out of San Juan. Work will be cleaning out and rebuilding. Electricity is not guaranteed. If you are able to participate in one of these trips, please contact the UMVIM team leader today.
UMVIM Team Leader: Tom Ruth from Elyria UMC
Phone: 440-610-3877 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
UMVIM Team Leader: Bob Catchpole from Church Hill UMC
Phone: 330-506-0339 | E-mail: email@example.com
Native American Ministries Sunday is April 15
On Sunday, April 15, celebrate the gifts and contributions to the church and the community that were made by our Native American brothers and sisters in Christ.
When our churches support Native American Ministries Sunday, we empower Native American congregations to minister to their communities with the love of Jesus Christ. Your special offering on April 15 will support Native American outreach ministries and provide scholarships for United Methodist Native American seminarians.
To help your leadership team promote this Special Sunday, download the Native American Ministries Sunday Pastor and Leader’s Kit.
Building Community Bridges: Conversations on Disabilities – April 11-12
The Methodist Theological School in Ohio is hosting a workshop featuring lectures by disabilities author and consultant William Gaventa, a panel with self-advocates and their families, and breakout sessions with experts in the field. Cost is $25. Learn more and register online.
Pastoral Care and Counseling
In the March 19 edition we address: Compassion is a powerful energy that heals and unites. In this issue you will find biblical instructions for unity, the transition of awakening, and how a practice of radical acceptance that can free you to live the abundant life Jesus promises.
• A Way Forward: How Church Can Achieve True, Biblical Unity
• A Hospice Counselor’s Compassion
• Awakening: Transition from Being Unconscious to Becoming Conscious
• Radical Acceptance: Saying “Yes” to Life
• 10 Yin Yoga Poses to Embrace Spring’s Spirit of Renewal
• Spiritual Practice Groups and Listings of our Spiritual Directors
If you have any questions or issues you would like for us to address or if you would like to receive e-mail alerts when new resources have been posted, please contact Howard Humphress at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our quick contact form.
United Methodist Financial Credit Union
Good Friday Closing
On Friday March 30, all offices of The United Methodist Financial Credit Union will be closed in observance of Good Friday. Members may check account balances, pay bills, and transfer funds, anytime through our website or mobile app. From all of us at The United Methodist Financial Credit Union, we wish you a Happy Easter!
Visa Promotion Still Going On!
Don’t Miss It! Our Visa Balance Transfer Promotion is still going on now through April 30, 2018! Transfer your balance to a UMFCU Visa and receive a 5.24% APR* for a 36 month term. Balance transfer fees apply (3% of the transfer or $10, whichever is greater). Contact one of our offices for more information!
PAUMCS Workshop April 17
The Ohio Chapter of PAUMCS (Professional Administrators of The United Methodist Church Structure) is pleased to offer a Spring Workshop on Tuesday, April 17 from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Reynoldsburg UMC in the West Ohio Conference. All East Ohio and West Ohio United Methodist Church secretaries, administrative assistants, office volunteers, district staff, etc. are welcome to attend! You do not need to be a PAUMCS member to attend. Learn more about the Ohio PAUMCS Spring Workshop.
The Media Center recently acquired the following resources:
- In the I Can Only Imagine Study, Bart Millard of MercyMe shares his own personal story leading you on a redemptive journey to recall your past wounds, reorient your present identity, and reimagine your future.
- Life-Changing Prayer; Approaching the Throne of Grace explores how God promises in his Word to always hear you, answer you, and extend his mercy when you come to him.
- Liking Jesus; Intimacy and Contentment in a Selfie-Centered World taps in to some of the most up-to-date studies on social media to help us understand how it affects our emotions, our relationships, our attitudes, and our beliefs.
- Ephesians Teen Bible Study; Your Identity in Christ will help students better understand the importance of finding identity in Christ, and will help students better understand the relationship between our spiritual adoption and our daily lifestyle.
- Messy Grace will inspire and empower Christ followers to completely love their LGBT neighbors (and any other neighbor) while remaining committed to Scripture.
Message in the Movies
A Wrinkle in Time There is no doubt in my mind that Ava DuVernay is a gifted filmmaker, capable of creating the memorable Selma as well as the outstanding documentary 13th. When she announced her desire to make a film version of Madeleine L’Engle’s beloved 1963 novel A Wrinkle in Time (with the blessing of Oprah Winfrey), I had high hopes that something wonderful would happen.
What happened? Find out!
Events -March 20 – April 2
- Mar 20
GriefShare Group @ Church of the Lakes
- Mar 23
Mission Benefit Sale @ Damascus UMC
- Mar 24
Soup, Salad & Dessert Dinner @ Manchester UMC
- Mar 25
Holy Week & Easter Services @ Smithville UMC
- Mar 27 @ East Ohio Area Center
Bridges Out of Poverty Meeting
- Mar 27
GriefShare Group @ Church of the Lakes
- Mar 29
From the Table to the Cross: An Original Drama @ Coalburg UMC
- Mar 30
Area Center Closed
- Executive Director, New England Camp and Retreat Center
- Director of Praise Worship, Wintersville UMC
- Part-time Youth Group Leader, Cardington 1st UMC
- Part-time Director of Music Ministries, Shreve UMC
- Administrative Assistant/Secretary, Faith UMC, Tiffin
- Modern Worship Leader, Church of the Saviour, Cleveland Hts.
- Conference Treasurer and Director of Administration, Upper New York Conference
- Counselors, Support Staff (Lifeguards), Wanake
- Ranch Assistant, Wanake
- Kitchen Assistant/Dishwasher, Wanake
- Supervising Cook, Wanake
- Music Ministry Coordinator, Johnson UMC
- Director of Discipleship, Richmond UMC
- District Administration Assistant, Ohio Valley District
- Crib Room Attendant, Tallmadge UMC
To submit a classified ad please email email@example.com
Please pray for the families of:
- Mary Louise Rogers, retired local pastor, died March 11, 2018
- Sonia M. Hardman, spouse of John D. Hardman, RE, died March 4, 2018.
- Mary Ann Seith, spouse of William A. Seith, RE, died February 26, 2018.
Subscribe to E-news and all East Ohio Conference news updates, Enter your email address in the “Follow News via Email” widget on the right sidebar. Information from this E-News may be copied and used in your local church.
The next scheduled edition of the E-News is April 2, 2018. Deadline for submission is March 28.