Auman, Nazario Appointed to EOC Cabinet
“Abby has strong leadership skills, is an innovative thinker who brings vision and courage to the development and empowerment of lay leadership, and has a passion for revitalizing the local church,” said Bishop Malone of Auman, who will serve as superintendent of the Mahoning Valley District.
Nazario will be the new superintendent of the Mid-Ohio District.
“Néstor is a capable administrator and brings the experience of serving in a variety of ministry contexts,” said Bishop Malone. “He has successfully merged congregations and has a deep commitment to social justice ministry. He brings a deep faith, a love for people, and a passion for the church.”
2017 Appointments/Changes of Status
Brian Amstutz | Faith UMC, MO | 7/1/17
Abby Auman | Mahoning Valley District Superintendent, MV | 7/1/17
Andrew Call | Lead pastor, Church of the Saviour UM, NC | 7/1/17
Thomas Jones | Thoburn UMC, OV | 7/1/17
David Martin | Dalton UMC , CN | 7/1/17
Néstor Nazario | Mid-Ohio District Superintendent, MO | 7/1/17
Judith Wismar Claycomb | retiring from Church of the Saviour UM, NC | 7/1/17
Christopher Statz | retiring from Oak Chapel UMC, CN | 7/1/17
Please keep in your prayers:
- the pastors and congregations who are receiving new appointments,
- Bishop Malone and the Cabinet as they continue the appointment process, and
- Board of Ordained Ministry members and the candidates for Provisional Membership and Full Membership who are in the interview process through the end of the month.
2017 Annual Conference Theme
The June 12-15 session of Annual Conference will return to Lakeside Chautauqua with a new quadrennial theme, Bearing Fruit that Lasts: Called, Committed, Connected.
Using John 15:1-17 (CEB) as our guiding scripture passage, we will explore what it means to be called and equipped as followers of Jesus Christ, highlight the joy of making a commitment to take up residence in God’s love, and to extend that love to others, and underscore the importance of being connected to God and to our neighbors if we are to bear fruit by making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
Bishop Tracy S. Malone will give the message during the Service of Commemoration and Holy Communion, and the Service of Commissioning and Ordination. Bishop Michael McKee of the North Texas Conference will be our guest speaker for each of the morning worship services.
Will Jones hired as Director of Multicultural Vitality
Will Jones has joined the East Ohio Conference as director of Multicultural Vitality. In this new full-time position created by action of Annual Conference 2016, Jones will actively engage pastors, congregations, and conference leaders to discern their roles in fully embracing the communizes that our churches serve.
“Will brings passion, inter-cultural leadership skills, and community organizing and development experience that will help resource and equip clergy and local churches in embracing the racial, ethnic, cultural, and generational diversity within their communities,” said Bishop Tracy S. Malone.
” I am humbled and blessed by this opportunity,” Jones said. I look forward to using my gifts and experience to resource and come alongside churches, pastors, and laity in laboring in the work to which God has called each of us.”
Follow the East Ohio Conference online to get the latest news sent right to your e-mail as soon as it posts on the conference website.
- Locate Follow News via Email on the right side of this page
- Enter your email address in the provided field
- Click the blue “Follow” button
Congratulations! You’ve joined the more than 2,500 people who follow the East Ohio Conference.
March 12 Open House for Jessica Vargo, North Canton Faith UMC
From 2-4 pm, an open house will be held to celebrate Jessica Vargo’s 15 years of service as treasurer & director of administrative services for the EO Conference. A short program will be held beginning at 2:30 pm. Light refreshments will be provided. The open house will be held at North Canton Faith UMC, 300 9th St, NW, North Canton, OH 44720.
Cards for Jessica may be sent to the EOC Treasurer’s Office.
Lent and Easter Resources
Ash Wednesday is March 1 and Easter Sunday is April 16.
As you plan Lenten Bible studies for your church, and your home, consider the new family devotion created by Discipleship Ministries. A complete list of Lent and Easter resources is in the March/April/May issue of The Window.
Schedule Your Mission Trip to The Epworth Center
The Epworth Center Work Mission, Bethesda, OH has approximately 23 senior citizens, disabled individuals and low-income home owners in need of your help for home repairs. Teach your youth and adults how to answer God’s call!
You may donate to the Epworth Center by using Advance # EOC 1940 and submitting through your local church offering.
UM Financial Credit Union
Moving or Live in a Rural Area?
Don’t worry. CO-OP ATMs and shared branches have you covered coast to coast. We have 30,000 ATMs and over 5,000 shared branches which means you have more direct, surcharge-free* access to your money than most traditional bank customers do. Use this link locator or call the credit union for assistance.
Avoid Paying ATM Surcharges
ATM owners generally charge a fee to withdraw money from their machine. This surcharge fee ranges from $2 to $4 per withdrawal. To avoid paying a surcharge, use a PNC Bank ATM or an ATM displaying the Alliance One Network. We have made special arrangements with PNC Bank and participant ATM owners of the Alliance One Network. If you use a Fifth Third Bank ATM you will be charged $1 per transaction and not the full surcharge posted on the machine.
Pastoral Care and Counseling
February 20, 2017 Resources
In this edition we feature:
- Inspiration Video: All That We Share
- How to Get Really Good at Dying
- Creating Change through Faith-Rooted Organizing
- Preparation for Lent
- Mindful Attention Awareness Scale
- How to Wake Up Your Body for Morning Meditation
- Calming the Rush of Panic in Your Body
- Mindfulness Creates Momentum for Healthy Choices
- Listings of Spiritual Formation Groups and our Spiritual Directors
If you have any questions or issues you would like for us to address, or would like to get email alerts when new resources have been posted, please contact Howard Humphress at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our quick contact form.
The Media Center recently acquired the following resources:
- All Things New; A Study on 2 Corinthians explores the anchoring truths of bearing treasures in jars of clay, meeting Christ through a pressing thorn, opening wide your heart in the midst of hurtful relationships, and what it means to embrace the lost and lonely as ministers of the new covenant.
- Can’t Stop the Water tells the story of Isle de Jean Charles, Louisiana and the Native American community fighting to save its culture as its land washes away.
- The Real God; How He Longs for You to See Him is an in-depth study of seven attributes of God: goodness, sovereignty, holiness, wisdom, justice, love, and faithfulness.
- The Question Of God; Sigmund Freud and CS Lewis addresses difficult issues in the eventful lives of two men who held diametrically opposed world views.
- Safe Sanctuaries Videos may be used as a series for training, individually to open up conversations in small groups, and as a way to share information with the congregation as a reminder or in the midst of a crisis.
Message in the Movies
Lion “As Christians, we proclaim that every person is adopted into God’s family as heirs of the Kingdom of God. But until that becomes reality, all of us have a longing for connection and a need to be loved. Lion tells the story of family lost, found, and found again. It also reminds us that childhood memories are primal and that we need to be vigilant in creating a safe place for all children..” For full review.
- Director of Youth Ministries, North Canton Faith UMC
- Director of Family Ministries, Hudson UMC
- President and CEO, United Methodist Insurance
To submit job postings and items available please email email@example.com
Events – February 20-March 6
Messy Church, North Canton Faith UMC
Confirmation Retreat, Camp Wanake
Breakthrough Prayer Initiative, Westlake UMC
A Town Hall Meeting- Chaos or Community? University Circle UMC
Flat Rock Benefit Night
Dinner and Dance, LaPorte UMC
Dates to Remember
Please pray for the families of :
Carrie Juanita (Neatty) Baker, surviving spouse of Rev. Robert A. Baker, who died February 14, 2017 and
Grace E. Boldt, surviving spouse of Rev. David Boldt, who died February 12, 2017.
To subscribe please send your request to Lois Speelman. Information from this E-News may be copied and used in your local church.
The next scheduled edition of the E-News will be March 6, 2017. Deadline to submit an article is March 1.