Greet Bishop Malone
You are invited to Salem First United Methodist Church (Mahoning Valley District) at 3pm this Sunday, Oct. 2, for a service welcoming Bishop Tracy S. Malone and her family to the East Ohio Conference.
The Episcopacy Committee and the Cabinet planned the welcoming services, the final two of which are scheduled for 3pm on the following Sundays:
Bishop Malone can be reached at mailto:email@example.com
Director of Multi-Cultural Vitality
The East Ohio Conference of The United Methodist Church seeks a director of Multi-Cultural Vitality. The new position was created by an action of Annual Conference 2016 when delegates approved a recommendation from the Conference Personnel Committee to change the part-time director of Racial-Ethnic Ministries position into full-time and to expand its scope of focus and work.
Qualified candidates should e-mail a letter of interest and their resume to the Rev. Steve Court by October 31.
2017 EOC Health Care Premiums
The premiums for clergy and lay employees will increase by 8% in 2017. Full details can be found here.
Community Clergy/Laity Training to Aid Veterans
Do you have a passion to help veterans? Do you feel more can be done to help veterans and their families? Do you know veterans suffering from PTSD and depression? If you answered yes to any one of these questions then you need to attend this training.to help churches connect with veterans. This can be an outreach for you & your church. In this training you will be given materials and resources to help create a safe space and develop trusting relationships, and listen without judgment. For more information.
Health Kits/School Kits Needed
The United Methodist Committee On Relief (UMCOR) thanks us for our timely and generous response to the urgent need for flood bucket clean-up kits! The director of UMCOR relief supplies reports that there are currently enough available cleaning buckets in the network. We are asked to please re-direct our efforts into creating health kits or school kits.
Pastoral Care and Counseling
September 26, 2016 Resources
In this edition we feature:
- Cultivating Church Leaders
- Positive Audacity
- Rethinking Connecting with God: an Interview with Fr. Richard Rohr
- Searching for Blessings in Tragedies: Being the Peace We Want to See in the World
- Tips for Dealing with a Diagnosis of Diabetes
- Help! I’m Being Threatened with Hell: Rabbi Rami Shapiro
- Listings of Spiritual Formation Groups and our Spiritual Directors
If you have any questions or issues you would like for us to address, or would like to get email alerts when new resources have been posted, please contact Howard Humphress at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our quick contact form.
The Media Center recently acquired the following resources:
- When You’ve Been Wronged; Moving on From Bitterness to Forgiveness illustrates how it is possible to right the wrongs of your life. He makes it possible to experience the freedom of forgiveness and the restoration of a clear conscience.
- The Bad Boys of Easter is about three men who found their way into the crucifixion and resurrection story. Each refused to abandon his quest for control and surrender to the Savior of the world.
- One Faithful Promise; The Wesleyan Covenant for Renewal reintroduces Wesley’s covenant prayer and renewal service as an accessible churchwide campaign, so that modern congregations can experience a boost in their way of Christian living.
- Play with Fire; Discovering Fierce Faith, Unquenchable Passion and a Life-Giving God delivers a bible-infused message that will help women gain new insight into God’s character, discover the personal and powerful nature of the Holy Spirit, and understand the unique fire God places in each person, helping them to fulfill their God-given calling and Kingdom purpose.
Message in the Movies
The Fundamentals of Caring “In Matthew’s Gospel Jesus speaks of the kindness that is shown to the king when “I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me.” (Matthew 25:35-36) In its own quirky, snarky way The Fundamentals of Caring gives us an elementary lesson about the opportunities every day to grow into better persons, modeling Christ-like love by learning to care for the needs of others.“ For full review.
United Methodist Financial Credit Union
Balance Transfer Promotion
Only 3.24% for 12-months and NO balance transfer fee! (Term begins on the date of the cardholder’s first transfer.) this offer is available now through December 31,2016 to qualifying UMFCU cardholders. For more information, please contact credit union loan officer at 800-831-9372, option 6 or 800-373-1059, ext. 12.
UMFCU Is Now Part of the Shared Branching Network
We are pleased to announce that it is now possible for you to walk into one of the 5,500 + participating credit unions and transact business on your UMFCU account. To locate a participating credit union open link and enter location.
Community Christmas of Stark County Collection Box
The North Canton office is collecting gently used warm winter coats from October 3-December 2. Items may be placed in the collection box during the credit union’s regular business hours of 8:30 am-4 pm.
Columbus Day Holiday
Both UMFCU branches will be closed for business Monday, October 10, 2016.
New E-News Feature
You may now use the archive listing on the right side of the page to view past issues of E-News.
- Director of Multi-Cultural Vitality, East Ohio Conference
- Organist/Choir Accompanist/ Bell Choir Director, Massillon First UMC
- Associate Director of Finance and Administration – Support Services, Indiana Conference
- Ministry Coordinator – Youth, Service, and Witness Ministries, Christ and First UMC’s in Ashland
Events – Sept. 26-Oct. 10
Farmers Market, Crestline UMC
Cardboard City, Wellington UMC
Craft and Vendor Sale, Chagrin Falls UMC
Coaching Foundations, Area Center
Church Planter Coaching, Area Center
Youth Mission Roundtable, North Olmsted UMC
Apple Butter Festival, Chatham
Swiss Steak Dinner, Chippewa Church at the Lake UM
Dates to Remember
Please pray for the family of:
- James Sun Nam Han, retired elder, who died September 17, 2016.
To subscribe please send your request to Lois Speelman. Information from this E-News may be copied and used in your local church.
The next scheduled edition of the E-News will be October 10, 2016. Deadline to submit an article is October 5.