Bishop Hopkins Retires
“I want to say good-bye to my close friends in the East Ohio Area and say how much I’ve enjoyed serving you over the last 12 years,” says retiring Bishop John L. Hopkins in the above video.
He and his wife Elaine have moved to a suburb of Indianapolis, not far from two of their sons and their families. Bishop Tracy S. Malone is the new resident bishop of the East Ohio Conference.
“(She) is just a wonderful gift of God who is coming to serve among you,” Hopkins said.
Bishop Malone can be reached at email@example.com.
You are invited to worship with and greet Bishop Tracy S. Malone at 3pm on one of the following Sundays:
Safe Sanctuaries Training Event
Register now to take part in “Safe Sanctuaries for Today’s World: A lot has changed ….”
Melanie Gordon, of United Methodist Church Discipleship Ministries, will be the keynote speaker. The event will also feature workshops that will focus on starting a safe sanctuary policy, using safe sanctuaries as an act of hospitality, and building a safe social media presence for your ministry.
The deadline to register yourself and your team is September 9. Register today.
The Disaster Response page of the EOC website has been updated to include:
- A letter written by Bishop Cynthia Harvey detailing her first-hand account of the flooding in Louisiana that nearly two weeks later still has areas under two feet of water
- A link for those wishing to make online donations to Louisiana Conference Flood Relief
- A link for those wishing to make donations to the West Virginia Conference Flood Relief as that conference continues cleaning up from the devastating flood that hit the state in late June
- The address where donations can be sent for Northwest Detroit Flood Recovery to assist the area that is still recovering two years after flooding in Michigan
- Contact information for NCJ Disaster Response Liaison, who is organizing a Sept. 18-23 ERT trip to Detroit and is planning an ERT trip to West Virginia in late October
Please continue to hold in your prayers those whose lives have been forever impacted by these, and other, natural disasters, and those who respond to assist in any way that they can.
Emergency Response Training Recertification
Review best practices and recertify individuals who have previously completed the ERT Basic training. Cost is $30.00 (includes lunch and background check). For full details.
Annual Preaching and Theology Study Group
The study group for theological reflection begins its 2016-17 season. The group seeks and welcomes theologically diverse participants for theological reflection on key worship texts lifted from the lectionary’s gospel readings. The study group is open to elders, diaconal ministers and local pastors. Each of the five roundtable discussions will be held on Wednesdays from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm at Christ Woodland UMC in Akron at 444 N. Hawkins Ave., Akron, OH, 44313.
Rev. Allan Bevere, professor at Ashland Seminary and ordained elder in East Ohio, returns as facilitator. Participants are free to attend just one of the sessions or as many as they are able. For more information contact Tom.Shaw@BrunswickUMC.org.
Fire Chaplain Training Scholarships Available
Town & Rural Resource Program (TARRP) is offering four $ 200.00 scholarships towards the Annual Conference of the Federation of Fire Chaplain National Training in Perrysburg, OH, Oct. 15-20. The scholarship is for members of United Methodist Churches in East and West Ohio Conferences to help cover registration costs. Please contact Rev. Debra Ketcham for more information.
Pastoral Care and Counseling
August 29, 2016 Resources
In this edition we feature:
- Clergy Spiritual Formation Groups
- 2 Myths About Adult ADD
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder and You
- When It’s Time to Burn Your Map
- Three Gatekeepers of the Tongue
- Listings of our Spiritual Directors
If you have any questions or issues you would like for us to address or would like to get email alerts when new resources have been posted please contact Howard Humphress at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our quick contact form.
The Media Center recently acquired the following resources:
- Victory in Spiritual Warfare; Field Guide for Battle provides application of Ephesians 6:10-18 so that believers can implement the truths of God’s Word in the very real battle at hand.
- Organic Outreach Video Study: Sharing Good News Naturally will help you shape a personal approach to passing on the good news of Jesus in natural ways.
- Grab, Gather, and Grow: Multiply Community Groups in Your Church offers a method for transforming a congregation through launching community groups.
- Tell Someone; You Can Share the Good News helps identify people and places already in your daily routine, encouraging and empowering you to share the good news of Jesus Christ.
Message in the Movies
Movie review by Bruce Batchelor-Glader
Photo by BBC Films
Florence Foster Jenkins “There’s so much lying in our consumer culture from how products are sold to how political campaigns are won and lost. If Florence Foster Jenkins had a bit more of an edge to its storytelling, it probably would have something to say. This film is content to simply make us smile and laugh and then be ashamed of ourselves for laughing. That’s the textbook definition of a guilty pleasure. You’re welcome.“ For full review.
- Choir Director, New Concord UMC
- Pianist, Andover UMC
- Ministry Interns, Kent UMC
- Accompanist, York UMC
- Youth Worker, Westbrook Park UMC
- Director, Solar Oven Partners
- Office Secretary, Bucyrus Woodlawn UMC
Item Available: Choir robes.
Events – August 15-29
Farmers Market, Crestline UMC
Concert, Manchester UMC
Farmers Market, Crestline UMC
New Clergy Orientation, Area Center
Mission Fair, Macedonia UMC
Mission 50/50 Partnerships Conversation, Mansfield First UMC
Jazz Under The Stars, Mt. Pleasant UMC
Swiss Steak Dinner, Chippewa Church at the Lake UM
Rock The Park
Africa University Celebration Rallies
Dates to Remember
Please pray for the families of:
- Claude L. Roe, retired elder, who died August 15, 2016 and
- Mary F. Klink, surviving spouse of James Klink, who died July 21, 2016.
To subscribe please send your request to Lois Speelman. Information from this E-News may be copied and used in your local church.
The next scheduled edition of the E-News will be September 12, 2016. Deadline to submit an article is September 7.