Teach • Reach • Bless
Building a New Residence Hall for Female AU Students
The East Ohio Conference Teach • Reach • Bless campaign needs to collect only $425,932 to reach our goal of collecting the needed $1.5 million to build and furnish a new residence hall for female students at Africa University. The new hall is needed because increasing enrollment at Africa University and a lack of on-campus housing means that some students commute from remote areas and find affordable off-campus housing, putting female students at risk of living in and being subjected to untenable situations.
A challenge gift from Rev. Bill & Marty McFadden will add $1 to every $3 collected in 2021. This means that if the campaign collects $319,449, the resulting challenge gift from that amount of $106,483 will put us at our goal of collecting $1.5 million.
Saturation Sunday – September 19
Representatives of Africa University will preach in East Ohio Conference churches on Sunday, September 19 as part of Saturation Sunday to promote the University and our Teach • Reach • Bless campaign to build a new dorm for female students on the AU campus.
On Saturation Sunday, September 19 – or a future Sunday of your church leadership’s choosing – pastors, congregations and faith communities of the East Ohio Conference are asked to share the story of Africa University and the Teach • Reach • Bless campaign. In supporting Saturation Sunday and the campaign, we are showing our commitment to improving the education and wellness of women today for a better Africa tomorrow.
Missions & Community Engagement
Fall Mission Mondays in September and October
Make plans to spend a Monday this fall at the sites of some of our East Ohio Conference mission partners – and bring a guest. Invite youth leaders, mission chairs, lay leaders, and anyone else who is curious about how to engage in missions in East Ohio. Registration is free and you’ll get to experience a behind-the-scenes look at some of our EOC United Methodist Volunteers in Mission (UMVIM) sites. The times for each Monday visit are 9:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- September 13 – Blue Rose Mission, Mansfield
- September 20 – Nehemiah Mission of Cleveland
- September 27 – Urban Mission, Steubenville
- October 4 – Epworth Center, Bethesda
- October 11 – Covered Bridge Mission, Jefferson
UMCOR Early Response Team (ERT) Training – October 2
The Conference Disaster Response Committee will hold a United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) Early Response Team (ERT) training on Saturday, October 2 from 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. at Chardon UMC. Michael Woodward will teach you best practices when assisting after a disaster. Upon successful completion of both the training and a background check, you will receive credentials as an UMCOR ERT volunteer.
Midwest Mission Christmas Collection November 29-December 5
East Ohio Missions is encouraging all Conference churches this Christmas to support the Midwest Mission Distribution Center (MMDC) United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) collection drive. We started holding drive-through collections last year, and each one has been more successful than the last. Let’s keep it up!
Many charitable organizations offer Christmas donation drives, but we encourage you to support ones within the United Methodist connection, like MMDC. The following sites will serve as drop-off locations during November 29 through December 5 Christmas collection:
- Family of Faith UMC (Canal District)
- Trinity Sandusky UMC (Firelands District)
- Boardman UMC (Mahoning Valley District)
- Trinity Mt. Gilead UMC (Mid-Ohio District)
- Strongsville UMC (North Coast District)
- Carrollton First UMC (Ohio Valley District)
- Old Washington UMC (Southern Hills District)
- Roscoe UMC (Three Rivers District)
- Mentor UMC (Western Reserve District)
Full details of the collection drive – including a drop-off site in the Tuscarawas District – will be released later this fall.
UMVIM Journey to Rio Bravo, Mexico December 26-January 1
It’s been a tough year and a half for in-person missions, but teams are going out! Rev. Tammy Kuntz, the North Central Jurisdiction United Methodist Volunteers in Mission (UMVIM) coordinator, will lead a team to Manos Juntas in Rio Bravo, Mexico the day after Christmas. Passports are required. Please e-mail Rev. Tammy Kuntz for more details.
Camps & Retreat Ministries
Camp Wanake 75th Anniversary Celebration – September 25
From fellowship around tables in the dining hall, to laughter and splashing at the pool, and songs of praise that echo through Vesper Hill at twilight, God’s love has been made real to campers and staff at Camp Wanake for 75 years. You are invited to join us on Saturday, September 25 to celebrate all that Wanake has meant, the ministry that continues today, and the ways that we can share God’s love in the future. Revisit the places around camp that are special to you: reconnect with friends, roast a marshmallow, paddle on Lake Arnold, and do the pattycake polka at the barn riot.
That weekend will be time for sharing memories, stories and Wanake traditions in worship, around the campfire and among friends. Bishop Tracy S. Malone will lead worship during the anniversary program at 1:30 p.m. and there will be free activities for the whole family that day. If you’d like to share something as part of a campfire or worship time, please call the Camp Wanake office at (330) 756-2333 or e-mail Camp Director Julie Lautt.
Make plans to spend the weekend at Camp Wanake. Your stay includes two nights, six meals, snacks and activities for $54/adult and $27/youth ages 4-18. Children younger than four years of age stay free. Immediate family stay for a maximum of $175. Financial assistance is available.
Clergy Mission Saturday – October 16
All licensed local pastors, all associate members, all ordained and commissioned Elders and Deacons, and all retired clergy are encouraged to participate in a day of service and worship at one of our EOC United Methodist Volunteers in Mission (UMVIM) sites. Get a first-hand look at how the mission site serves the community and learn ways that local churches can partner with the site team.
On Saturday, October 16 from 9:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m. clergy will build relationships while learning more about – and working for the day at – our five EOC UMVIM mission sites:
- Blue Rose, Mansfield (Mid-Ohio)
- Nehemiah Mission of Cleveland (North Coast)
- Urban Mission, Steubenville (Ohio Valley)
- Epworth Center, Bethesda (Southern Hills)
- Covered Bridge Mission, Jefferson (Western Reserve)
There is no cost to participate but clergy are asked to register in advance. Directors of each site will structure the day, but everyone will do hands-on work at the site or in the community. Skilled and unskilled participants needed. Each site will provide worship and lunch.
UMCOR Assisting Haiti Following an Earthquake and Tropical Storm Grace
The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) asks clergy and laity across the Church to join in prayer for Haiti and its people following a deadly 7.2 magnitude earthquake off the country’s western coast on August 14. UMCOR stands in solidarity with the people of Haiti and is working with partners in the country on how to best meet the immediate needs of survivors and assist communities experiencing upheaval and uncertainty. As this critical work was being done, Haiti was ravaged on August 17 by Tropical Storm Grace.
You can make a difference by making a financial donation to International Disaster Response and Recovery Advance 982450. By supporting this fund, you are helping the victims in Haiti and victims of natural disasters around the globe because UMCOR does not designate funds for any specific disaster. This process keeps The United Methodist Church nimble in our response for immediate needs.
Remember that by giving through the Advance, 100% of your donation assists those in need because administrative costs are paid for through the UMCOR Sunday special offering collected on March 22.
Veteran’s Support Group – October 20
Massillon Epworth United Methodist Church is partnering with the Serving Area Military (SAM) Center to launch a new veteran’s support group described as, “a spiritual journey to walk you back to the place of health, wholeness, and spiritual renewal.” The first meeting of the group is scheduled for Wednesday, October 20 from 6:00-7:30 p.m. at the SAM Center (413 Lincoln Way East, Massillon, OH 44646).
If you are a veteran who is interested, or know someone who might be interested, please call Epworth UMC at (330) 832-7271, the SAM Center at (330) 956-6162, or e-mail Chaplain Les Peine.
Christian Family Credit Union Auto Loan
Breathe easy when you get your auto loan from Christian Family Credit Union. Whether you are looking to upgrade to a new vehicle, or love your vehicle but want a better rate, we can get you on the road with our auto loans as low as 2.74% APR*.
*Annual Percentage Rate (APR). Advertised rate is based on excellent credit history and discount. Membership and other qualifications apply. This institution is not federally insured. Members’ accounts are not insured or guaranteed by any government or government-sponsored agency.
The Media Center has recently acquired the following resources:
- Jesus & Women; In the First Century and Now transports you back to Jesus’ world, following in the footsteps of the women who came face-to-face with the Living God. Examine the historical and cultural climate of first-century Middle Eastern society to not only understand Jesus more deeply but to fuel your worship of Him today.
- Nothing To Prove; A Study in the Gospel of John walks through key passages in the Gospel of John to demonstrate how only Jesus is enough. We don’t have to prove anything because Jesus has already proven everything. Discover how our thirsty hearts can only be quenched by the living water.
- The Epic of Eden; Psalms teaches us what the Book of Psalms is (the hymnbook of ancient Israel), how it was utilized in Israelite worship (the various “forms” of the Psalms), and why the Book of Psalms remains critical to our devotional lives today. It also dives into the concrete realities of Israelite worship as well as Israel’s theology of worship.
- God the Savior; Our Freedom in Christ and Our Role in the Restoration of All Things shares with us that throughout the Bible we find two parallel dramas unfolding: the lower story, which describes the events from our human perspective and the upper story, which reveals how the events unfold from God’s perspective. See how God weaves the two together.
Message in the Movies
The far-fetched plot involves no real complications or problems, but since there is so much great music – 11 songs – and so much joy and fun onscreen, it’s really an upbeat and positive way to spend 90 minutes at home, with music that combines hip-hop with a mambo beat.
Yes, Vivo is extremely slight but nevertheless a visually stunning and happy creation. Lin-Manuel Miranda continues to bring joy to the world and if you are in need of shot of happiness alongside your Covid-19 vaccine, hook up your streaming device and follow this prescription.
Please pray for the families of:
- Clairie King, surviving spouse of the Rev. W. Maurice King, died August 3.
- Dorothy R. Carney, surviving spouse of the Rev. Harry A. Carney, died July 23.
- Helen M. Brown, surviving spouse of the Rev. W. Paul Brown, died December 25, 2020. A celebration of life will be held Saturday, September 25, 2021 at 11:00 a.m. at Christ UMC, 470 E Broadway St., Alliance, OH. The church is large enough that social distancing will be observed, but the family requests that all wear masks regardless of vaccination status.
To submit the obituary of an EOC clergy, clergy spouse, or surviving spouse, family should contact Melissa McGee, executive secretary to the Bishop, by phone at (330) 499-3972 ext. 112 or via e-mail.
- Church Organist – Simpson UMC in Canton
- Director of Communications – The General Board of Church and Society (GBCS)
- Virtual Worship Coordinator – Shoregate UMC in Willowick
- Organist – Shoregate UMC in Willowick
- Evening/Sunday Custodian – Faith UMC in North Canton
- Director of Youth Ministry – Faith UMC in North Canton
- Youth Ministry Coordinator – Lakewood UMC
- CMO Administrative Coordinator – The East Ohio Conference of The UMC
- Director of Music Ministries – Hudson UMC
- Custodian – Hudson UMC
- Lake Lucerne Camp Site Director – The Wisconsin Conference Camp and Retreat Ministries
- Contemporary Worship Leader – Rocky River UMC
Items Available / Wanted
- Three Pews – Mulberry St. UMC in Mount Vernon
To submit a classified ad please e-mail email@example.com.
To subscribe to E-News and all East Ohio Conference news updates, enter your email address in the “Follow News via Email” widget on the right sidebar. Information from this E-News may be copied and used in your local church. The next scheduled edition of the E-News is Tuesday, September 7, 2021.
Deadline for submission is Wednesday, September 1, 2021. Send articles to firstname.lastname@example.org.