Special Session of the General Conference
The East Ohio Conference Delegation Offers Listening Posts Prior to the Special Session
The Special Session of the General Conference, that has been called to address a way forward for The United Methodist Church on the matter of human sexuality, will be held February 23-26, 2019, in St. Louis, Missouri.
As East Ohio delegates to this Special Session of the General Conference, we recognize the importance of the decisions that will be before us and the impact these decisions will have on each United Methodist church and member. Recognizing this, we invite you to attend and share your thoughts and concerns at one of the five scheduled listening posts that will be held throughout the East Ohio Conference.
The listening posts will be:
- Sat., Sept. 8 from 10:00 am – 12:30 pm at Wildare UMC
- Sat., Sept. 29 from 10:00 am – 12:30 pm at Cambridge Christ UMC
- Tues., Oct. 9 from 6:30 – 9:00 pm at New Philadelphia First UMC
- Sat., Oct. 20 from 10:00 am – 12:30 pm at Ashland First UMC
- Tues., Nov. 6 from 6:30 – 9:00 pm at Aldersgate UMC (North Coast)
We would appreciate participants registering in advance to help with our planning but registration is not required to attend the posts. You may register here.
“How To” Discussion of Small Membership Churches
If you have an average worship attendance of 120 or less, and a desire to minister with the young people in your community, come join the conversation – Being Disciples, Making Disciples, and Maturing Disciples for the Next Generation: A “How To” Discussion for the Small Membership Church.
Presenter, Stephanie Caro, of Ministry Architects, and keynote speaker for Vision Discipleship at Annual Conference 2018, will continue the conversation about reaching young people in our communities on September 20 at Camp Wanake and Retreat Center. Caro has more than 30 years of experience working with children, youth, and adults in all aspects of church ministry. View her hilarious AC presentation. (start video at 1 hr. 10 min. mark)
The training will include: Who is the Small Membership Church?; Facing Today – it doesn’t work with millennials; A Discipleship Path; and Q&A.
Information and registration here.
Young Adult Ministries
Teen Volunteer Opportunity: Project FEED
Project FEED is November 10 (in Newcomerstown) and November 11 (in Wadsworth) from 2:00-4:30. Cost is $5 at the door with a canned food, $10 without. To purchase gear (t-shirts and hats) and for more information, follow this link
Project FEED Sponsorships
The Conference Council on Youth Ministries and the teens of East Ohio were recognized at Annual Conference by Rise Against Hunger, the organization that we partner with for our Project Feed events, who presented the Golden Gong Award for the 250,000 meals we packed in the last four years! This has been made possible by the dedication and support of many youth groups. 50% of the funding has come from our budget. Keep in mind, we charge $5 at the door (with a canned food), but it actually costs us $25 per person to pack these meals.
We would like to expand our efforts by offering another location, and double the number of meals packed this year from 50,000 to 100,000 and help Rise Against Hunger accomplish their goal of ending world hunger by 2030. However, we do not have the funding to make this happen. So, CCYM is asking for financial partners to reach our goal, i.e. churches or companies etc.
We are asking for the following sponsorships:
- Bronze $100 donation (this equals 345 meals) Sponsor will receive a certificate of recognition.
- Silver $250 donation (this equals 862 meals) Sponsor will be recognized at this year’s YAC.
- Gold $500 donation (this equals 1,724 meals) Sponsor will be recognized at YAC and will receive VIP seating at the Saturday night concert at YAC.
All sponsors will have their name printed on the back of the Project Feed t-shirts.
All checks can be made out to East Ohio Conference of the United Methodist Church with Fund #9701 in the memo and sent to 8800 Cleveland Ave. NW, North Canton OH 44720, Attn: Kaye Wolfinger. Please have all checks to us by September 28, 2018.
Position Available for Administrative Assistant to the Director of Young People’s Ministries
The East Ohio Conference of The United Methodist Church is seeking applications for the Administrative Assistant to the Director of Young People’s Ministries.The Administrative Assistant reports to and is responsible for supporting the Director of Young People’s Ministries in fulfilling the mission and vision the East Ohio Conference. This includes communication, budgeting, reporting, event planning and coordination for a variety of ministries and committees.
Experience with and understanding of The United Methodist Church is desirable but not required for this position.
This position is full-time, hourly, non-exempt with health care and retirement benefits provided.
A more detailed description of the position is available here. Please forward all resumes to: email@example.com Resumes will be accepted through August 17.
Live Well – Be Well – Black Clergy Retreat – September 23-25
36 years ago, in 1982, Bishop James S. Thomas hosted the first Black Clergy Retreat at Mohican State Park. This year, the 2018 Black Clergy Retreat returns to Mohican State Park. Bishop Thomas instituted the event to nurture and develop Clergy who’s diversity and perspective is invaluable to the Conference. This year, the theme “Live Well – Be Well” fulfills the purpose of nurturing and caring for the Black Clergy of The East and West Ohio Annual Conferences. Read entire article …
Register for the 2018 Black Clergy Retreat.
Seating is Limited! Have You Registered for this Financial Wellness Workshop?
Sponsored by the Conference Board of Benefits, this one-day workshop will help you review and evaluate your current financial status. Wespath Benefits & Investments partners with EY Financial Services. EY will be giving a presentation on “Achieving Financial Wellness.” The balance of the day will include an overview of Conference-sponsored benefits, inclusive of pension, death & disability benefits, as well as healthcare. This workshop will be offered Thursday, September 20 from 9:00 am – 3:30 pm at Westbrook Park UMC
PLEASE NOTE: SEATING IS LIMITED! Reservations are a must for everyone attending (this includes spouses – they must register as well)!!! No walk-ins can be accommodated as personalized information is provided for each pastor attending. Questions? Contact Betsy Stewart at (800) 831-3972, Ext. 103 or Robin Whitacre, Ext. 151. Click here to register.
Don’t Forget!: HealthFlex Participants
HealthFlex participants and covered spouses must complete the Health Quotient between August 1 and September 30, 2018 to avoid paying a higher medical plan deductible in 2019—$250 extra (individual deductible) or $500 extra (family deductible). Primary participant and covered spouse must both take the HQ by September 30 to avoid higher deductible. Instructions to complete the Health Quotient.
Back-to-School Outreach Resources
Reach out to families in your community to promote school supply giveaways, backpack blessings, and Sunday school rally days at your church.
United Methodist Communications is offering customizable resources for your back-to-school ministry now through October 10. They are available in a variety of designs, with multiple messages options, and you can even upload your own artwork.
Choose from: postcards for direct mailing to specific zip codes; invitation cards that congregation members can distribute to friends, coworkers and neighbors; and outdoor banners that will greet passersby with encouraging words of welcome.
Receive $200 off your order by using promo code F18UMC200 when you place your online order. Order today.
Nurture Your New Congregation
The first 30 days of pastoring a church are days of learning, listening, understanding and gaining insights. When those 30 days pass, it’s time to take action. A UMCom.org article explores steps that pastors can take to achieve “quick wins” in days 31, 60, 90 and beyond. Making the first 90 days count can lead to many years of fruitful ministry. Read Here.
Pastoral Care and Counseling
In the August 13 issue we address: Listening and listening’s power to transform our relationships and us as individuals.
- A Way Forward: Deep Listening
- Why Listening Matters for Mission and Ministry Today
- Video: Listening with an Awakened Heart Part 1 & 2
- Why You Need Excellent Listening Skills
- Book: Listening for God: A Minister’s Journey Through Silence and Doubt
- YouTube: Listening: Be Still and Know that I Am God
- Mindful Listening: Awakening to the World around You
- Mindful Listening: A Practice in Loving
- The Importance of Listening: Marriage Today
- The Digital Age: The First Duty of Love is to Listen
- Listings of our Spiritual Directors
If you have any questions or issues you would like for us to address or if you would like to receive e-mail alerts when new resources have been posted, please contact Howard Humphress at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our quick contact form.
The Media Center recently acquired the following resources:
- The Prayer Coin; Daring to Pray with Honest Abandon shows flipping from the brutal honesty of our own desires to a complete abandon in allowing God to lead. Moving from one side of the coin to the other and back again creates a new intimacy with the Creator.
- Living Our Principles illustrates how valuable the United Methodist Social Principles are to our world community. This series explores the United Methodist Social Principles and their use in the lives of United Methodists across the connection.
- Joshua; Winning the Worry Battle participants join God’s people as they arrive on the edge of the promised land only to find themselves in hostile territory, faced with fear and uncertainty and discover that winning the worry battle requires more than having faith; it requires learning to fight in faith!
- Single & Parenting: Support Group Kit contains video seminars that discuss encouraging kids to obey, helping a hurting child, eliminate debt,
and more while participants develop meaningful friendships with other single parents
To reserve these or other resources, call the Media Center at (800) 831-3972 x 139 or send an e-mail to email@example.com. Browse the resource catalog at www.rqmweb.com/eocumc
Message in the Movies
Eighth Grade –This is a very honest film that is not only in touch with the social media world of today’s youth but also plugged into the developmental insecurities of anyone straddling the great divide between the innocence of older childhood and the “grownup” world of high school.Read full review
Hit the open road! The United Methodist Financial Credit Union offers great rates for new and used vehicles. Our loan officers are great and will help you find that perfect vehicle for your next road trip. Contact one of our offices today!
Certificate of Deposit Rates
Summer may be rising our temps, but it’s also been raising our CD Rates! Right now, members may get a rate as high as 2.12% APY for a 12 month certificate of deposit! There are a variety of rates and terms available. Contact one of our offices today to lock in your rate.
Events: August 13 – August 26
Click to view East Ohio Conference Calendar.
- Fri, Aug 17
Gospel Bluegrass Jam @ Manchester UMC
- Sat, Aug 18
Help Build Hope @ Dover First UMC
- Sat, Aug 18
Crosby Lane in Concert @ Brecksville UMC
- Sun, Aug 19
Messy Church @ Smithville UMC
- Sun, Aug 19
Magical Fun Fest @ Massillon Epworth UMC
- Sun, Aug 19
Bridging the Gap @ Christ Woodland UMC
- Fri, Aug 24
Lead like Jesus @ United Theological Seminary
- Sat, Aug 25
Church Yard Sale @ United Methodist Church in Stow
- Sat, Aug 25
Puerto Rico UMVIM Team Leader Training @ East Ohio Area Center
To submit your event to the East Ohio calendar use this form.
(The East Ohio Conference only accepts East Ohio United Methodist local church, conference and general UM events for listing on the conference calendar.)
Details of listings may be found here.
- Organist/Pianist/Accompanist, Wooster UMC
- Choir Director and Pianist, Newtown Falls UMC
- Administrative Specialist, General Commission on the Status and Role of Women, Chicago, IL.
- Administrative Assistant to the Director of Young People’s Ministries, East Ohio Conference Area Center
- Accompanist or Organist, Firestone Park UMC
- Director of Christian Education, The United Methodist Church in Stow
- Accompanist/Pianist or Organist, Magadore UMC
- Pianist, Andover UMC
- Part-time Director of Music, Brecksville UMC
- Choir Director/Accompanist, Millersburg UMC
- Executive Secretary to the Bishop, East Ohio Conference Area Center
To submit a classified ad please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please pray for the family of Richard H. Parks, Jr., retired elder, who died July 27, 2018.
Obituary details may be found here.
Subscribe to E-news and all East Ohio Conference news updates, Enter your email address in the “Follow News via Email” widget on the right sidebar.
Information from this E-News may be copied and used in your local church.
The next scheduled edition of the E-News is Monday, August 27, 2018. Deadline for submission is Wednesday, August 22. Send articles to email@example.com