Financial and Administrative Services
EOC Churches Offered Payroll Processing Service
The office of Financial and Administrative Services partnered with Paychex to provide an updated payroll processing service that offers additional benefits, while providing all users with consistent reporting, filing, and processing standards. Churches enrolled in the former QuickBooks service are completing their paperwork to be converted to the new Paychex system.
The deadline to enroll in Paychex payroll for a January 2018 start date has passed. So, churches wishing to enroll in the new payroll service will need to process their own payroll for January 2018.
The deadline to enroll for a February 2018 start date is Monday, December 18, 2017. The $1,000 set-up fee will be waived for new customers whose faxed paperwork is received in the office of Financial and Administrative Services by December 18, 2017.
Advance Special 9966-McKinley Community Outreach Center
Joe & Linda have been struggling for a while. Linda lost a job she had held for 12 years on the day after Easter. She finally got a minimum wage job at the end of September, but a week later, Joe lost his good-paying job.
Someone told them about the McKinley Community Outreach Center. They were nervous to ask for help-they never had to before. When they arrived at the center, a volunteer welcomed them and explained how things worked, which eased their anxiety significantly. “All the people volunteering were so sweet and friendly and no one looked down on us” Linda commented.
In addition to food, they were able to get cat food and litter, a winter coat and some clothes. “I haven’t had money to buy clothes in years!” she said. “We were shocked at how much food there was-there was even produce and refrigerated items!” They were able to pick up some taxable personal care items like toilet paper and laundry detergent. Once they get back on their feet again, Joe and Linda plan to donate back to the center. In the meantime, they are able to make ends meet until things turn around, thanks to MCOC. To support this ministry make a donation through your local church offering using fund #9966.
Class of 2018 Retirement Seminar
The date of the Conference Board of Benefits (CBOB) Retirement Seminar for the Class of 2018 has been changed to Friday, March 2, 2018. This event is hosted at the Sheraton Suites in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. Following the seminar, a joint CBOB and Board of Ordained Ministries Honorary Dinner for the Class of 2018 will be held. Event is by invitation only.
UM Financial Credit Union
Starting January 1, 2018, account holders that wish to receive a paper statement will be assessed a $3 fee for each statement printed. Members over the age of 65 are exempted from the paper statement fee. You can also avoid the fee by signing up now to receive your statement via our secure home banking services. In many ways, it’s safer than getting your statement mailed to you via the US Postal Service!
If you need help getting this service set up: log onto the credit union website. At the top of the page you will see blue tabs with different headers. Click on “Statements” and make your selection for e-statements there.
Holiday Credit Union Closings
During the upcoming Christmas season, there are multiple days our offices will be closed. We want our members to be prepared and plan accordingly. On Friday December 22, 2017 our North Canton office will be closed. On Monday December 25, 2017 all offices of The United Methodist Financial Credit Union will be closed in observance of Christmas Day. On Monday January 1, 2018 all offices of The United Methodist Financial Credit Union will be closed in observance of New Year’s Day.
Pastoral Care and Counseling
In this edition we feature:
- A Way Forward: We Are Already One- Thomas Merton
- A Way Forward and the Emerging Church
- Video: Advent Meditation
- How to Get a Good Pause
- Holiday Relief: Injecting Joy into the Season of Joy
- Spiritual Practice Groups and Listings of our Spiritual Directors
If you have any questions or issues you would like for us to address, or would like to get email alerts when new resources have been posted, please contact Howard Humphress or use our quick contact form.
The Media Center recently acquired the following resources:
- All Things New; Heaven, Earth and the Restoration of Everything You Love explores the revolutionary idea that according to the Bible, heaven is not our eternal home – the New Earth is.
- A Survey of the New Testament; A Complete Course for the Beginner leads students to actually read the Bible. Each chapter is introduced by an overview lesson, followed by a handful of short sessions on key topics.
- What’s in the Bible? Church Edition, Vol. 4-12 brings the Bible and its stories to your church in a whole new way with lessons that are flexible and fully customizable.
- Waiting Here For You teaches that waiting is not wasting when you’re waiting on the Lord. Take hold of the chance to uncover the vast hope offered through the journey of Advent.
- Things I Wish Jesus Never Said are things he said that challenge us – even make us uncomfortable. But even the hard things Jesus said are meant to teach us – they are words that lead to life!
- Wait and See; A Study on Waiting Well explores how we can view God’s pauses as opportunities to know Him better living peacefully during faithful waiting. Study the lives of Joseph, Moses, David, Nehemiah, Abraham and Sarah, and Noah.
Message in the Movies
” The film (like R. J. Palacio’s 2012 bestselling book on which it is based) shows us Auggie’s story through a variety of voices, sometimes revisiting a scene from another character’s perspective. It is a subtle but effective device that reminds us that every person’s life affects those who interact with them. A quote from Wayne Dyer is repeated several times in the film: “When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind.”
- Youth Director, Jeromesville UMC
To submit job postings and items available please email email@example.com
Events – December 11-January 8
- December 12
Blue Christmas Service
- December 13
Lessons and Carols Service
- December 14
Remembrance and Hope Service
- December 15
Gospel Bluegrass Jam
- December 16
Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser
- December 17
- December 17
Children’s Christmas Pageant
- December 19
Blue Christmas Service
- December 20
- December 21
- December 21
Supper at The Corner
- December 21
Sensory Integrated Christmas Service
Dates to remember
- February 3
Conversation on A Way Forward, Thoburn UMC
- February 4
Conversation on A Way Forward, Willard First UMC
- February 5
Conversation on A Way Forward, Lakewood UMC
- March 3
Conversation on A Way Forward, Church of The Lakes UM
- June 11-14
Please pray for the families of:
To subscribe please send your request to Sue Zakovec. Information from this E-News may be copied and used in your local church.
The next scheduled edition of the E-News will be January 8, 2018. Deadline for submission is January 3.