Global Migration Sunday is December 3
Today more than 65 million people worldwide are displaced from their homes. That figure is higher than at any time since World War II, according to the United Nations Refugee Agency.
In response to this global crisis, The United Methodist Church has designated December 3 as Global Migration Sunday, a day of prayer and a special offering to raise awareness and funds to aid migrants and refugees.
“This is the day for The UMC to act with conviction and courage, giving life to its commitment to be disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world,” said the Council of Bishops Immigration Task Force. “How we respond to the immigration crisis at this moment will determine the vitality of the church for generations to come.”
UMC #GivingTuesday: November 28
Remember that tomorrow, November 28 to visit UMCmission.org/give and select from UMC-related projects and missionaries who bring hope and healing to a world in need.
Cleaning Buckets and Hygiene Kits Sent to Puerto Rico
United Methodist Volunteers in Mission North Central Jurisdiction (UMVIM-NCJ) Disaster Response Liaison Jason Frazer reports that three shipping containers of cleaning buckets and hygiene kits were due to arrive in Puerto Rico on Thanksgiving Day.
The photo above shows items loaded into one of three containers at the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) Sager Brown depot in Baldwin, Louisiana during the Conference Disaster Response Coordinator Annual Meeting. Five containers, carrying $794,000 worth of the buckets and health kits requested by the bishop and the conference in Puerto Rico, have been shipped since the deadly hurricanes struck the island in late September.
In addition, an Action Response Team (ART) recently traveled to Puerto Rico to plan with the bishop and staff there the response of The United Methodist Church. The team took 12 satellite phones, solar lights, and solar chargers for cell phones.
July 10-24, 2018, Ukraine
United Methodist Volunteers in Mission will be traveling to Chernivsti in western Ukraine, The team will participate in the ministry of the UMC in Chernivsti, located on the border of Ukraine and Romania. Approximate cost: $2,000. Contact Kathryn Adams
Young People’s Ministry
Project Feed Packs 54,000 Meals
East Ohio Conference youth continue to fight the war against hunger here in the United States and around the world. This year’s Project Feed – one mission in two locations – saw more than 540 volunteers flock to West Elementary School in Newcomerstown and Wadsworth Middle School for the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of people they have never met.
Over two days the teens packed 54,000 dry meals and donated 950 cans of food to Rise Against Hunger. This is the fourth straight year the East Ohio Conference has partnered with the international relief agency formerly known as Stop Hunger Now. In that time, our youth have packed 240,000 meals and donated more than 2,700 cans of food!
Bishop Malone Shares Her Call Story
Bishop Tracy S. Malone shares her call story, lessons she has learned in her ministry, the hope she has for future generations of clergy, and much more in an interview recorded for Strengthening the Black Church for the 21st Century (SBC 21).
Lois Speelman will retire on December 19 after more than 27 years of faithful service to the East Ohio Conference. “Our clergy and laity have been blessed by Lois’ passion for the Church, and her dedication to help others. She will be missed,” said Director of Communication Rick Wolcott.
UM Financial Credit Union
Skip A Payment
Our 2017 Skip a Pay is going on now! If you haven’t already, submit your Skip A Payment form to skip your December Payment now until December 31st. You may choose to skip your payment for a fee of $35 per loan. Complete the form and either mail or fax it into the credit union. Fax Number: 513-528-7480 or mail to: 431 Ohio Pike Suite 100 N Cincinnati, OH 45255
Beginning in 2018, UMFCU will be implementing a $3 Statement Fee for paper statements. Avoid the fee and sign up for e-statements now! Contact one of our offices with questions. North Canton (800) 831-3972 ,Cincinnati (800) 373-1059, Indianapolis (317) 296-7177.
Updated Member Information
Have you recently had a life event? Moved, gotten married, etc? Make sure to notify your credit union! Be sure to update your address, phone number, and email address to stay up to date with credit union news and changes.
Pastoral Care and Counseling
In this edition we feature:
- Sexual Misconduct at Church
- New Hampshire Rep. on”Me Too” Addressing Sexual Harassment
- Living in the Now: One Thing
- Audio Meditation: Aligning Yourself with Self
- Navigating the Holidays When You Have Depression
- Quest for a Good Night’s Sleep
- Spiritual Practice Groups and Listings of our Spiritual Directors
If you have any questions or issues you would like for us to address, or would like to get email alerts when new resources have been posted, please contact Howard Humphress or use our quick contact form.
The Media Center recently acquired the following resources:
- Youtude; Broadcasting Your Attitude To Others teaches about the Beatitudes Jesus expects us to live by. They will understand how “the attitude you use is the attitude you choose” and their attitude is broadcast to others—good or bad!
- A Theology of James, Peter, and Jude: 13 Lessons on Key Issues and Themesoffers a thorough exploration of the theology of each book, including introductory issues and major themes, and shows how each book relates to the broad picture of New Testament theology.
- Christmas Musical; BiG Children’s Ministry Curriculum is a learning experience for your children at Christmas time that will take them into the story of Jesus’ birth, following the Wise Men as they followed the star.
- Discovery; BiG Children’s Ministry Curriculum is a new Christian learning experience, that takes you through the basics of Christianity
- Poets and Saints Curriculum: A Community Experience is a holistic journey through the lives, wisdom, and worship of “ordinary” Christ-followers, saints and poets, throughout the history of Christianity that God used to wake up the world to his ancient and eternal truths.
Message in the Movies
“I was surprised to see a film that was so respectful of religion and parochial school education. Although the students understandably mock their faith, the nuns and priests who teach the students are presented in caring and compassionate ways. There is a moment of spiritual clarity that takes place late in the film that is offered without irony.
- Summer Intern, Lakeside
- Executive Director. Lake Junaluska
- Chancel Choir and Adult Bell Choir Director, Louisville Christ UMC
- Contemporary Worship Leader, Louisville Christ UMC
Details of the above classifieds/items wanted can be found here.
To submit job postings and items available please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Events – November 27-December 11
- December 3
A Christmas Carol
- December 9
- December 9
Christmas Bible School
- December 9
- December 9
- December 10
Men’s Community Breakfast
- December 10
- December 10
Family Christmas Event
- December 10
Search For The Christ Child
Dates to remember
- February 3
Conversation on A Way Forward, Thoburn UMC
- February 4
Conversation on A Way Forward, Willard First UMC
- February 5
Conversation on A Way Forward, Lakewood UMC
- March 3
Conversation on A Way Forward, Church of The Lakes UM
- June 11-14
Please pray for the families of:
- John A. Clouston, retired associate, who died November 6, 2017
- Ruth Blank, surviving spouse of Thomas E. Blank, who died November 10, 2017
- Daniel M. Cico, spouse of Pastor Karen Cico, who died November 13, 2017 and
- Donald C. Prather, retired local pastor, who died November 20, 2017.
To subscribe please send your request to Lois Speelman. Information from this E-News may be copied and used in your local church.
The next scheduled edition of the E-News will be December 11, 2017. Deadline for submission is December 6.