The Commission on a Way Forward released its interim report to the Council of Bishops and shared sketches of models from it with the understanding that the Council is not restricted to these models and that we remain open to learning, listening and improvements. The Commission did not express preference for any particular model, and the Council of Bishops neither voted to endorse any model for the future of the Church, nor eliminated any model from consideration.
I encourage you to continue praying for the Commission and to register for one of the scheduled EOC Conversations on a Way Forward. I trust that God will continue to lead us forward as we strive to maintain the unity of the Church and expand our witness and mission in the world.
UM Giving Opportunities
United Methodist Student Day: November 26
Across the country, the people of The United Methodist Church are serving the people God loves in Jesus’ name. We’re doing it at home, but so often we’d like to do more.
But the reality for most of us is that our responsibilities—home, family, work—don’t allow us to engage with every need we’d like to meet.
Right now there are UMC young people—who might not have had the resources to attend a school of their choice, or, for some, any school at all—who’ve been sent by you into the world God loves because of your giving to United Methodist Student Day. When you give generously you support students as they prepare for a life that unites faith with knowledge. For more information.
UMC #GivingTuesday: November 28
One of the great things about The Advance is that it allows you to invest your resources where your passion answers specific needs in the world.
UMC #GivingTuesday is less than three weeks away. Join with thousands of United Methodists in giving generously to the work of Global Ministries missionaries and projects through The Advance.
Now is a great time to start thinking about where you want your UMC #GivingTuesday gift to go. Visit UMCmission.org/give and select from more than 600 UMC-related projects and more than 300 United Methodist missionaries who bring hope and healing to a world in need.
Financial & Administrative Services
Thursday, November 16 is the deadline to select benefit options for HealthFlex.
The East Ohio Conference is switching to the HealthFlex benefits program in 2018. Our conference joins 28 others across the denomination in using the health benefits plan offered by Wespath Benefits and Investments, a general agency of The United Methodist Church.
Click here to view the HealthFlex Benefits workshop video and learn more about the plan and available options.
UM Financial Credit Union
Stretching Your Budget
Hosting Thanksgiving dinner? Reviewing Christmas lists? Planning a New Year’s Eve party? With the entire holiday season approaching, your budget may be feeling a little tight. The United Methodist Financial Credit Union offers personal loans to help make the holiday season a stress-free time! Let your credit union help keep the focus where it belongs: On your time with friends and family!
Contact one of our loan officers to discuss your lending options:
- Christine Fairhurst, 800-831-3972 ext. 104, North Canton
- Christine Smith, 800-373-1059, Cincinnati
Thanksgiving Holiday Closings
On Thursday November 23, 2017 all offices of The United Methodist Financial Credit Union will be closed in observance of Thanksgiving Day. We want to wish all of our members a Happy Thanksgiving! We are so blessed to be your financial partner in ministry!
On Friday November 24, 2017 our North Canton branch will be closed. Our Cincinnati branch will remain open during normal business hours. You can always check share account balances, pay bills, and transfer funds anytime through our website at website or through our Mobile App.
Pastoral Care and Counseling
In this edition we feature:
- Video: Standing Against Sexual Harassment and the Abuse of Power
- The Perils of Empathy: Non-Anxious Presence
- Why Meditate Early in the Morning
- Stop Mourning the Morning, Start with a Purpose: A Morning Ritual
- The Hidden Cost of Phone Addiction
- How a New Brand of Mindful Movement Can Help You Heal
- Spiritual Practice Groups and Listings of our Spiritual Directors
If you have any questions or issues you would like for us to address, or would like to get email alerts when new resources have been posted, please contact Howard Humphress or use our quick contact form.
The Media Center recently acquired the following resources:
- Building Skupperton; The Key to the Best Me teaches children the keys to being the best they can be as they learn the seven foundational principles of a good Christian life.
- New Hope; the Key to the Best Me assembling, painting and perfecting a minute detail of a miniature town as Biblical truths seen in the lives and experiences of its inhabitants are uncovered. Each story takes place in a particular area of New Hope and teaches children a unique lesson about discovering and becoming the person God created us to be.
- The Miracles of Jesus; Finding God in Desperate Moments explores the miracles of Jesus, helping us to see that our weakness is an invitation for God to work powerfully in our lives and reminding us that we need God on our best days just as much as we do on our worst.
- Daring Faith; teaches the value of living by faith. Each lesson opens with an animated Bible story about a biblical hero who accomplished all that God had destined him to do, because of his trust in God’s power.
Message in the Movies
Hunt For The Wilderpeople “All of the actors are great, taking what could have become stereotypical roles and finding nuance and depth. Ricky Baker becomes the hero he always hoped that he would be, simply by being accepted as he is and challenged to become more. Although religion is gently teased in this film, grace and forgiveness are everywhere. If you were dusting this movie for fingerprints, you would find the hands of Christ.”
- Visitation Pastor, Wadsworth UMC
- Choir Director Solon UMC
- Keyboardist/Organist, Solon UMC
- Conference Treasurer/Statistician, New Mexico Conference
- Chairs, adult and children’s: Millersburg UMC
Details of the above classifieds/items wanted can be found here.
To submit job postings and items available please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Events – November 13-27
- November 13-19
Fall For All Clergy Retreat
- November 14
Conversations on A Way Forward, Western Reserve UMC
- November 16
Supper at The Corner, Smith Corners UMC
- November 17-18
Clergy Spouse Mini-Retreat
- November 17
Gospel Bluegrass Jam,Manchester UMC
- November 18
The Inclusive Congregation, Thoburn UMC
- November 18
Community Thanksgiving Dinner, James S Thomas UMC
- November 19
Messy Church, Smithville UMC
- November 19
PraiseFest, Bucyrus UMC
- November 23
Free Thanksgiving Dinner Rootstown UMC
- November 23
Free Thanksgiving Dinner Smithville UMC
- November 25
More Than A Meal, Mentor UMC
- November 26
Free Community Breakfast LaPorte UMC
Dates to remember
- February 3
Conversation on A Way Forward, Thoburn UMC
- February 4
Conversation on A Way Forward, Willard First UMC
- February 5
Conversation on A Way Forward, Lakewood UMC
- March 3
Conversation on A Way Forward, Church of The Lakes UM
- June 11-14
Please pray for the family of Amanda Adelee McMillen, surviving spouse of Rev. Frank McMillen, who died November 6, 2017.
To subscribe please send your request to Lois Speelman. Information from this E-News may be copied and used in your local church.
The next scheduled edition of the E-News will be November 27, 2017. Deadline for submission is November 22.