General Agencies Unwrap Advent Resources
December 3 is the first Sunday of Advent. During this season, we’ll prepare for the coming of Christ as we remember the longing of the Jewish people for a Messiah and our own need of forgiveness, salvation and a new beginning.
To help your church plan each week of Advent, Discipleship Ministries created the Coming Home Advent worship series. Each week worshippers will be invited to unwrap something that will lead them toward making their hearts, their lives, their families, their communities, and their world more like the home Christ’s ultimate homecoming will be.
To assist in marketing your church to its surrounding communities, United Methodist Communications, another resource agency of our connectional denomination, has designed customizable marketing tools you can order that invite the recipient to “unwrap the true meaning with us this Christmas.”
Financial & Administrative Services
Benefits Enrollment Begins Nov. 1
The East Ohio Conference is switching to the HealthFlex benefits program in 2018. Our conference joins 28 others across the denomination in using the health benefits plan offered by Wespath Benefits and Investments, a general agency of The United Methodist Church.
Participants select medical/pharmacy, dental, and vision plans; choose eligible dependents to cover; and can contribute to reimbursement accounts for pre-tax savings in 2018 and to save for future health needs.
Click here to view the HealthFlex Benefits workshop video and learn more about the plan and available options.
PARTICIPANTS MUST ELECT A PLAN during the enrollment period of Wednesday, November 1 to Thursday, November 16.
UM Financial Credit Union
During the months of November and December you may choose to skip your payment for a fee of $35 per loan. If you wish to utilize Skip-A-Payment, complete the form and either mail or fax it into the credit union.
Fax Number: 513-528-7480 or mail to 431 Ohio Pike Suite 100 N Cincinnati, OH 45255
Is a new home on your wish list this year? The United Methodist Financial Credit Union offers mortgage loans! Christine Smith in our Cincinnati office can help make your wish a reality. Contact Chris at (800) 373-1059 ext. 12.
Veteran’s Day Closing
Our Cincinnati office will be closed on Friday November 10, 2017 in observance of Veteran’s Day. Our North Canton branch will remain open for normal business hours. You can always check share account balances, pay bills, and transfer funds anytime through our website or through our Mobile App.
Pastoral Care and Counseling
In this edition we feature:
- Spiritual Direction: Walking with God
- The Ministry of Justice Work
- Faith and Science: Openness to Change
- Change Can Only Happen as We Release Beliefs
- 9 Things You Might Assume are Your Fault, But Aren’t
- What is Psychological First Aide
- Spiritual Practice Groups and Listings of our Spiritual Directors
If you have any questions or issues you would like for us to address, or would like to get email alerts when new resources have been posted, please contact Howard Humphress or use our quick contact form.
The Media Center recently acquired the following resources:
- Great Chapters of the Bible; Romans Eight helps us to see clearly the journey from doubt to faith—from discouragement to hope—that God has for us.
- Great Chapters of the Bible; John Fifteen has the power to radically transform every person in your group. Encourage one another in a new way of living, give strength for facing disappointments, gain refreshing comfort, and give hope for sharing the Good News.
- Christmas! The Everlasting Story introduces the prophet Isaiah, Mary, the Angel Gabriel, the Shepherds the Wise Men, and so many more! Kids hear the story from their unique prospective, and learn that the birth of Jesus changed the world, and can change theirs, too.
- The Beatitudes; A Life Filled With Blessing walks us verse by verse through Jesus’ most famous teaching — the Beatitudes. Jesus’ ministry was not just about getting things right with God so you can go to Heaven. It was also about getting things right with God so that you can truly live on earth.
Message in the Movies
Same Kind of Different As Me “While I stand in awe of Denver Moore’s big heart and love of his new friends, I struggle with our current status quo and the very real differences in how our culture treats the rich and poor, with discrimination and disregard that seem to follow persons of color regardless of the best intentions of good Christian folk. I do not think that we are the same kind of different at all. That is our challenge and our shame.
This film offends because it unapologetically celebrates white privilege as it proclaims its “All Lives Matter” message. I am sure that in God’s Kingdom all distinctions will vanish but, in the meantime, “From everyone to whom much has been given, much will be required; and from the one to whom much has been entrusted, even more will be demanded.” (Luke 12:48) .”
- Secretary, Trinity-County Trinity Charge (Belmont County)
- Food Pantry Coordinator, Canton Calvary Mission
- Summer Ministry Worker, Salem First UMC
Details of the above classifieds/items wanted can be found here.
To submit job postings and items available please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Events – October 30-November 13
- October 31
- November 3
Tuscarawas District Lay Speaker Training
- November 4
ERT Basic Training
- November 4
ERT Re-certification Training
- November 4
UMVIM Team Leader Training
- November 4
Turkey Supper, Craft and Bake Sale
- November 5
Canton Calvary Mission Fundraiser
- November 8
Cabbage Roll Sale
- November 11-12
- November 12
- November 12
Bicentennial of Methodism
Dates to remember
- November 14
Conversation on A Way Forward, Western Reserve UMC
- November 16-18
Why Water Matters Summit: A Call For Justice
- February 3
Conversation on A Way Forward, Thoburn UMC
- February 4
Conversation on A Way Forward, Willard First UMC
- February 5
Conversation on A Way Forward, Lakewood UMC
- March 3
Conversation on A Way Forward, Church of The Lakes UM
- June 11-14
Please pray for the families of:
- N. Eileen Norris, surviving spouse of Rev. Francis Norris, who died October 24, 2017
- Wesley J. Johnson, spouse of Rev. Diane Johnson, who died October 23, 2017
- Ronald L. Bryant, retired elder, who died October 19, 2017 and
- G. Marlene Peterson, retired elder, who died October 17, 2017.
To subscribe please send your request to Lois Speelman. Information from this E-News may be copied and used in your local church.
The next scheduled edition of the E-News will be November 13, 2017. Deadline for submission is November 8.