2017 Appointments/Changes of Status
Districts: (CN) Canal · (FL) Firelands · (MO) Mid-Ohio · (MV) Mahoning Valley · (NC) North Coast · (OV) Ohio Valley (SH) Southern Hills · (TR) Three Rivers · (TW) Tuscarawas · (WR) Western Reserve
Note: effective 7/1/2017 unless otherwise noted
William Baker: Amherst UMC, FL
Jennifer Darling-Mellott: Ashland Trinity and Red Haw UMCs, MO
Robert Hooker: Smithfield UMC, OV
Jon Hutchinson: Mt. Tabor UMC, TW
Barbara Letterly: Richmond & Union Pisgah, FL
Thomas Matus: Ava UMC, SH
Ron McIlvaine: Johnston Fed., West Mecca, Orangeville and Vernon UMCs, WR
David Miller: Harpersfield and Rock Creek UMCs, WR
Lenore Robinson: Madison Chapel UMC, WR
John Schafer: Macksburg and Mary Reed Memorial UMCs, SH
Andrew Thompson: Belmont and Lloydsville UMCs, SH and OV
Victoria Troutman: Cardington Center and Fairview UMCs, MO
Paul W. George: Canal Lewisville/Warsaw UMCs, TR
Jason Young: Galena UMC, MO
Daniel Purdom: Belmont UMC, SH
View the current appointment list
Conference-sponsored health benefits to change effective January 1, 2018.
It is very important that you attend one of the informational meetings hosted by the Conference Board of Pensions. Please note: an additional meeting date/time has been scheduled; May 23, 2017, 6:30 pm at the Area Center.
Anyone can attend any of the meetings, at which handouts will be distributed and the changes discussed. You should attend an informational meeting if you are currently covered by the conference health benefit plan with Aetna.
- active clergy and lay employees of the local church,
- retirees younger than age 65,
- retired clergy, their spouses and surviving spouses who are younger than age 65,
- lay delegates to Annual Conference, and
- chairpersons of Finance Committees and of Staff Parish Relations Committees.
No changes are planned to the health care benefits of retirees who are age 65 or older; retired clergy, their spouses and surviving spouses.
2017 Annual Conference – June 12-15
June 13- Camp Day at Annual Conference
The Board of Camps & Retreat Ministries has designated Tuesday of Annual Conference as Camp Day! Wear your favorite camp t–shirt, join in singing some camp songs as we gather for the afternoon session, and share your camp testimony with those around you! Also, there will be “Ask Me About Camp” t-shirts available for sale. All proceeds will be used for camperships.
2017 Clergy Directory
Photos will be taken during Annual Conference for the 2017 Clergy Directory. The directory headshots will be the official clergy photos for all EOC publications for the next four years – so please dress professionally.
No appointment is necessary. Clergy simply need to stop by Bradley Temple during one of the following sessions to have their picture taken:
- Mon., June 12, 11 am- 6 pm
- Tues., June 13, 9 am -6 pm
- Wed., June 14, 9 am-6 pm
- Thurs., June 15, 9 am-2 pm
NOTE: These are the only times that photos will be taken for the directory. Please e-mail Director of Communications Rick Wolcott with any questions.
Highlighting the Ministry of OPEN M
OPEN M staff and volunteers work tirelessly day after day to help clients build bridges out of poverty. One of the highlights for us is when a past client comes to visit with an encouraging update or good news to share. Recently, Education Director, Patty Whetsel, received a visit from the mom of a Building Blocks preschool student from 2013 to 2015. Keiaina and her family were struggling with homelessness and food insecurity at that time. Life was so unstable and Keiaina was four days too young to start kindergarten in 2014. Building Blocks provided a much-needed refuge and support system for her and her mother, and helped prepare her with the skills she needed for school. OPEN M also provided emergency food for the family.
Keiaina is now in first grade in the Akron Public Schools. She is on the honor roll. Her family has stable housing, and they recently welcomed a new baby. Keiaina’s mother was touched so much by Building Blocks, and grateful for the support and encouragement Patty offered, that she wanted to drop off a school photo and share her good news. We were so thrilled to hear it. OPEN M is so proud of Keiaina! Learn more about ministry at OPEN M. To support OPEN M, make a donation through your local church treasurer to Fund 9102.
Older Adult Ministry
Webinar: Older Adult Ministry On A Shoestring
Will Randolph, director of Aging and Older Adult Ministries is the presenter of this webinar which is designed for small membership, rural and financially strapped churches to help them offer quality older adult ministry. The focus is on doing a few ministries well while concentrating on ways to adapt practices for the small church. It offers tools for uncovering hidden assets and partnerships that will stretch resources. Please register here.
Pastoral Care and Counseling
May 15, 2017 Resources
In this edition we feature:
- Annual Conference Spiritual Formation Luncheon
- Leaving Well: Spiritual Leadership
- Preventing Alzheimer’s: TED Talk
- Walk this Way: Walking Meditation
- Guided Meditation: Resting in the Flow of Experience
- Unworthy: How to Stop Hating Yourself
- Listings of our Spiritual Directors
If you have any questions or issues you would like for us to address, or would like to get email alerts when new resources have been posted, please contact Howard Humphress at email@example.com or use our quick contact form.
Act now to reap the benefits of Spring Cleaning in the Media Center!
Enhance your worship service, small group studies, and community outreach with books, DVDs, guides, VBS kits, and the many other items that are on sale at the Area Center in North Canton.
The new and used resources are priced to sell ($1 – $10/each), with all proceeds to be used for purchasing new resources for the Media Center.
Your church can also bid online to be the new owner of one of four used LCD projectors. The auction began May 12 and ends May 19 at 9pm. The highest bidders will need to claim their projector at the Media Center.
The Media Center recently acquired the following resources:
- What’s Your Story? Seeing Your Life Through God’s Eyes explores Joseph’s story. He accomplished great things in Egypt, but he didn’t really understand his story’s significance until he recognized what God was doing through him. Discover how to co-create with God the kind of life that will be a page-turner.
- Forward; A Small Group Study Toward a Full Life in Christ based on 2 Peter 1:3-11 that shows you and members of your small group how to push one another forward in your shared life together, helping one another grow in faith, knowledge, and actions consistent with a Christian life.
- Scouting the Divine: Searching for God in Wine, Wool, and Wild Honey explores how ancient livelihoods illuminate meaningful Christian truths that apply to life today.
- Address the Mess reminds us that avoiding messes and staying out of trouble isn’t what the Christian life is all about. Your messes and the messy people you meet along the way may actually be your greatest opportunity to know God.
Message in the Movies
Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2 “Every guardian is dealing with issues about family and relationship. Peter has never known his father, but his birth in many ways parallels that of Jesus Christ. His mother (Laura Haddock) raised him from infancy and he was conceived from her union with a Celestial being. Peter meets his father (Kurt Russell) for the first time in this film, and their reunion is filled with joy and pain. Peter discovers new powers within that transcend everything that came before. He also must contend with a father who uses omnipotence irresponsibly. Is this a birthright that Peter should claim?”
- Director of Children’s Choir/Youth Choir and Vocalists, Rocky River UMC
- Pianist, Mulberry St. UMC
- Administrative Office Assistant, Collins UMC
- Worship Leader, Collins UMC
- Church Secretary, Wedgewood UMC
- Director of Christian Education and Discipleship, New Philadelphia First UMC
To submit job postings and items available please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Events – May 15 -30
Confronting the Issue of Opioid Addiction, Church of the Saviour
Supper at the Corner, Smith Corners UMC
Gospel Bluegrass Jam, Manchester UMC
Change The World Event, Nehemiah Mission
Stuff The Truck, Mt. Pleasant UMC
Car Show, Newcomer’s Chapel of Pigeon Run
Dates to remember
Please pray for the families of:
- Michael E. Bloomfield, died May 1, 2017, who died May 1, 2017 and
- Robert F. Williamson, retired associate member, who died May 9, 2017.
To subscribe please send your request to Lois Speelman. Information from this E-News may be copied and used in your local church.
The next scheduled edition of the E-News will be May 30, 2017. Deadline for submission is May 24.