2017 Appointments/Changes of Status
Gary Fitzgerald | retiring from Chandlersville UMC | SH | 7/1/17
Guiding Words from Bishop Tracy S. Malone
Sunday morning has come and gone … now what?
“If we want to empower and equip people to be difference makers and to resist injustice, I am convinced that the Church must challenge people to go deeper. We, the Church, have to help people know and experience the relevancy of the Gospel and to see how it still speaks and has the power to liberate and transform people and systems. If the Church is to reclaim its prophetic role in the world and in people’s lives, we must create spaces and opportunities for people to GO DEEPER.” More…
Pastoral Care and Counseling
February 6, 2017 Resources
In this edition we feature:
- Communication and the Church: Creating Healthier Relationships
- Nonviolent Communication: Good Therapy
- Race Matters: How Far Have We Come
- Another Tip from a Messy Contemplative: More is Not Better
- 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess
- Contemplative Christianity is the Great Tradition
- 6 Ways to Stop Arguing and Start Listening
- The Two Essential Ingredients for a Loving, Long-Longing Relationship
- Listings of Spiritual Formation Groups and our Spiritual Directors
If you have any questions or issues you would like for us to address, or would like to get email alerts when new resources have been posted, please contact Howard Humphress at email@example.com or use our quick contact form.
Messy Church Workshop
Are you concerned for those unchurched families in your neighborhood? Messy Church is an innovative way to connect with families in your community who aren’t currently involved in the life of a local church.
The event will be from 8:30 am -3 pm at North Canton Faith UMC. Registration is $12.00 with lunch included. More information and registration. Check out “Messy Church USA” on Facebook for stories and inspiration.
CEF Spring Retreat
All are welcome to attend the annual CEF Retreat, “Self-Care in Passionate Ministry” to be held at Camp Wanake. The Rev. Dr. Valerie Stultz will be the retreat facilitator, helping to explore how to care for ourselves in a challenging work environment. Cost is $65.00 for CEF members and $77.00 for non-member. For more information.
Jackson Area Ministries Garden Project
Spring is not that far off, meaning that Jackson Area Ministries’ seed potato, tomato plant, and vegetables seed distributions are approaching. For many years congregations, UMW units, Sunday school classes, and other groups and individuals have sent seed packets and financial donations to J.A.M. (Green Thumb Garden Project). Together in 2016 we enabled over 3,118 individuals and/or families to grow their own vegetables. If each garden were to net just $200 worth of produce the value of the combined contributions would come to $623,600.
Please remember us this growing season. The Appalachian counties of Southeast Ohio will be participating in the project. Deadline for contributions is April 15. More information and a bulletin insert are available here.
Thank you for all the years of supporting Jackson Area Ministries.
Please send your seeds and/or donations to: J.A.M. Gardening, PO Box 603, Jackson, OH 45640.
Sierra Leone UMVIM Team
Meeting at Strasburg UMC from 10 am-noon. For more information contact (740) 922-5338.
UM Financial Credit Union
The Credit Union will be closed Monday, February 20 in observation of President’s Day.
The promotion has been extended through May 31. You still have time to consolidate those holiday bills, transfer high balance credit cards or pay off an installment loan. The choice is yours. 5.24% fixed rate* until the transferred balance is paid in full. No balance transfer fee. Call today and we’ll help you get started with this incredible offer. Certain restrictions apply.* 1-800-831-3972 Ext 6.
The Media Center recently acquired the following resources:
- The Broken Way; A Daring Path Into the Abundant Life takes us on a personal journey along the broken way which when things aren’t shaping up quite like you imagined, that makes life take the shape of more abundance, more intimacy, more God.
- Shaken Bible Study: Discovering Your True Identity in the Midst of Life’s Storms by Tim Tebow shares insights from the highs and lows of his NFL journey and what he’s learned about clinging tight to God’s unfolding plan and purpose—no matter what comes.
- Twelve More Women of the Bible looks at the spiritual lessons learned from twelve women whose stories will inspire you to persevere through difficult times and find joy in the hope that Jesus has provided.
- Messy Church is a way of being church for families based around hospitality, creativity and celebration. It has since caught the imagination of churches of all denominations around the world as they try to rethink how to be church for people who have little or no church connection.
- Journey to Jesus explores the culture and background of Muslims, as well as equip, inspire, and encourage any Christian toward successful conversations with Muslims to show the love of Christ.
Message in the Movies
Hidden Figures “Great story, great actors, and a still-timely message add up to a crowd-pleasing movie for all ages. I can’t hide my endorsement for Hidden Figures.” For full review.
- Financial Manager, Wooster UMC
- Pastor of Visitation, Westbrook Park UMC
- Executive Coordinator, United Methodist Appalachian Ministry Network
- Church Treasurer, Granger UMC
- Discipleship Pathway Coordinator, Medina UMC
To submit job postings and items available please email mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Events – February 6-20
Free Breakfast, Smith Corners UMC
Get Their Name, Rural Chapel UMC
SibShop, Greensburg UMC
Heritage Chorale, Church of the Saviour
A Sundae and Music, Roscoe UMC
Valentine’s Dinner, Smithville UMC
Faith & Life Lecture Series, Baldwin Wallace University
Supper at The Corner, Smith Corners UMC
Gospel Bluegrass Jam, Manchester UMC
ERT Leadership and Assessment Training, Orrville Trinity UMC
From Membership To Discipleship, Bellevue First UMC
Dates to Remember
To subscribe please send your request to Lois Speelman. Information from this E-News may be copied and used in your local church.
The next scheduled edition of the E-News will be February 20, 2017. Deadline to submit an article is February 15.