Listening, Learning, Connecting
Bishop Tracy S. Malone continues to connect with clergy and laity and to learn about the life-changing ministries of the conference during her tours of East Ohio districts. To date she has visited Southern Hills, Firelands, Mid-Ohio, Western Reserve, North Coast, Ohio Valley, and Tuscarawas districts. The bishop has upcoming tours scheduled for Dec. 1 (Canal), Dec. 5 (Three Rivers), and Dec. 6 (Mahoning Valley).
Bishop Malone also met many passionate people for Christ during four welcome services designed by the conference Episcopacy Committee and the Cabinet to introduce the bishop and her family to East Ohio.
November 29 is UMC #GivingTuesday
Every day you give light, give love, and give life to a world in need through your prayers, presence, gifts, and service. On UMC #GivingTuesday November 29, you are invited to come together with thousands of United Methodists to support projects and missionaries of The Advance.
Started in 2012 as a United Methodist Church response to the commercialism of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, UMC #Giving Tuesday helps support the life-changing ministries of more than 800 mission projects and more than 300 missionaries around the world. Every dollar you give goes to the ministry of your choice. Use these UMC #Giving Tuesday resources to join the movement, and make a donation today.
Support EOC Ministries this Christmas
Children, families, and communities all benefit from the live-changing ministries of the East Ohio Conference. This Christmas you can help support these ministries. Click on the links below to see their Christmas wish lists.
Young Peoples Ministries
Project Feed brought together 500 teens and youth group adult leaders to pack meals for the 1 in 8 people around the world who don’t have food to eat.
The youth partnered with Stop Hunger Now for Project Feed, which this year expanded to two locations. Over two days the teens and their adult leaders packed 50,000 meals that will be sent to developing countries around the world.
Watch the video to see and hear the joy that comes from helping others.
Statement from the East Ohio Native American Committee
We join East Ohio United Methodists in celebrating the more than $70,000 raised in our Area for hurricane relief in Haiti. We applaud Bishops Tracy Malone and Sally Dyck for their leadership in this project and are grateful for the generous response it generated. We are however disappointed that the program took the form of a World Series Missional Challenge that invited fans to contribute as a show of support for their teams. This entailed encouraging support for the Cleveland Indians and for a mascot that our church has taken a stand against by Annual and General Conference resolutions. In this way, the Missional Challenge ran counter to our call for the elimination of offensive mascots, and our commitment to walk in healing ways with Native Americans through Acts of Repentance.
Pastoral Care and Counseling
November 21, 2016 Resources
In this edition we feature:
- Election Fatigue: Unplug for a Bit
- Shifting Consciousness When It Appears Things are Going Down the Drain
- We’ve Always Had a Seat at the Table
- The Benefits of Gratitude in Spiritual Formation
- Creation Is the Primary Cathedral
- The Second Coming of Christ
- When Thanksgiving becomes Thankliving
- Awaken to the “Power of Off”
- Listings of Spiritual Formation Groups and our Spiritual Directors
If you have any questions or issues you would like for us to address, or would like to get email alerts when new resources have been posted, please contact Howard Humphress at email@example.com or use our quick contact form.
UM Financial Credit Union
The Credit Union Board of Directors and Staff wish you and your family a safe and blessed Thanksgiving holiday. Thanksgiving Holiday office hours will be:
North Canton Office
Closed Thanksgiving Day
Closed Friday, November 25
Closed Thanksgiving Day
Open Friday, November 25
Office Hours: 9 am – 4:30 pm – Phone: 800-373-1059
If you are in the market for a new or used car, please consider UMFCU for your vehicle financing. Rates for new vehicles are low as 2.11%*. UMFCU also offers competitive rates for RVs, motorcycles, boats, and four wheelers. For more information, please contact one of our loan officers at 800-831-3972 Option 6 or 800-373-1059.
Time is running out on UMFCU’s low-rate credit card Balance Transfer Promotion. For more information, please contact Sharon Schecks at 800-831-3972 ext 150.
*All loans are subject to credit approval. Rates are subject to change without notice. Rates may be higher based upon your credit score.
The Media Center recently acquired the following resources:
- Encounter the Spirit aimed at helping you discover the treasure of a deep relationship with God, through the power of the Holy Spirit. Wouldn’t you like to know how to hear the voice of God and how to read the Bible so it becomes a Living Word for you?
- Invitation provides a helpful foundation for how to read, study, and understand scripture for those unfamiliar with the Bible and sets the stage for further group exploration.
- The Epic of Eden; Understanding the Old Testament clearly and powerfully communicates a history of God’s redeeming grace, weaving together a story that runs from the Eden of the Garden to the garden of the New Jerusalem.
- The Epic of Eden; Isaiah explains Israel’s religion and economy, explores the definition and role of the prophets, and helps us to apply the message of this great champion of the faith to our lives today.
Message in the Movies
Arrival ” If the film were just about the scientific encounter it would be more than enough; those scenes are great. The design of the spaceship and the visitors from outer space is spare and effective. The special effects in Arrival do not need to hit us with bombast. The haunting musical score by Jóhann Jóhannsson creates an ethereal and haunting undertone to the adventure.” For full review.
- Executive Director, Youngstown Community Center
- Worship Music Coordinator/Team Leader. Middlefield UMC
- Financial Administrator, Mayfield UMC
- Coordinator of Camping & Retreat / Youth & Young Adult Ministries, Illinois Great Rivers Conference
To submit job postings and items available please email mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Events – Nov. 21- Dec. 5
Thanksgiving Dinner, Smithville UMC
Blue Christmas Service, Canfield UMC
Discipleship Ministries Training on Faith & Sex, Area Center
Dates to Remember
Confirmation Retreat, Camp Wanake
Please pray for the family of Roy Boone, Jr., spouse of Rev. Neriah Edwards-Boone, who died November 8, 2016.
To subscribe please send your request to Lois Speelman. Information from this E-News may be copied and used in your local church.
The next scheduled edition of the E-News will be December 5, 2016. Deadline to submit an article is November 30.