Connecting across East Ohio
“I come to you as one who is all in, East Ohio,” Bishop Tracy S. Malone said during her welcome service message at Willoughby Hills UMC. “It is my prayer that we all recognize that we are all in this together.”
Clergy and laity, children and adults will have opportunities this week to share with the bishop their passion for the ministry and mission of the local church, as she tours the Firelands, Mid-Ohio, Western Reserve, and North Coast districts. The bishop previously visited Southern Hills, and will engage with churches in the remaining districts over the next month.
The final welcome service for Bishop Malone and her family will be Sunday, November 13, at 3 pm at Ashland First UMC.
Benefits-Flexible Spending Accounts
2017 Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
Enrollment kits have been mailed to all current Local Church Plan Sponsors. The 2017 enrollment deadline is December 12, 2016. No late enrollments will be accepted.
For the Plan Year 2017, the FSA will continue to be administrated by HealthSmart. For more information.
If your church is interested in sponsoring the benefit plan for the first time, you are welcome to use the website as a resource or call 1-800-831-3972 ext 103 (Betsy Stewart) or ext 151 (Robin Whitacre).
Pastoral Care and Counseling
November 7, 2016 Resources
In this edition we feature:
- Spiritual Directors Taking Lead in Spiritual Formation Groups
- We’re Not Having Normal Church Anymore: Prophetic Ministry
- Taking Jesus Seriously: Racism, a Whitened Jesus, and subversive of the Kingdom of God
- Meditation Video: Coloring Mandalas
- All-Inclusive, All-Pervading: All Saints’ Day
- Audiobook: Zen Habits: Handbook for Life
- 10 Ways to Find Time for Your Passion
- The Art of Letting Go
- Listings of Spiritual Formation Groups and our Spiritual Directors
If you have any questions or issues you would like for us to address, or would like to get email alerts when new resources have been posted, please contact Howard Humphress at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our quick contact form.
UM Financial Credit Union
Did you know???
The United Methodist Financial Credit Union is a full service financial institution? They offer a variety of accounts including savings, checking, share certificates, tax, and Christmas Club. The credit union also offers a variety of lending products for mortgages, automobiles, credit cards, and signature loans.
With the recent addition of Shared Branching and Mobile Check Deposits, transacting business with UMFCU became even more convenient. The Mobile App and Online Banking website allow 24/7 access to your accounts.
Veterans Day, November 11, 2016
UMFCU’s North Canton Office will be open during their regular business hours of 8:30 am – 4:00 pm. The Cincinnati Office will be closed.
Call today for more information about any of our services. You may contact our North Canton Member Representatives at 800-831-3972 Option 6 or our Cincinnati Member Representatives at 800-373-1059.
The Media Center recently acquired the following resources:
- Stolen: The enemy uses our circumstances to rob us of treasures like passion, joy, peace, strength, inheritance, and dreams. Stolen will lead you into a discovery of the ways you can reclaim the treasures God intended for you.
- Worthy Vessel leads girls through an in-depth study of 2 Timothy, encouraging others to walk in faith as they deliver the message God has entrusted to them.
- Balanced challenges you to examine what you really believe about faith and finances. In order to be free to truly follow Christ, you must have your finances in order.
- Breath on a Page dives into what makes Scripture so remarkable and different from any other text in history. Learn why Scripture is the most precious thing we can hold on this earth, and celebrates the living connection we have to its author, the Creator of the universe.
Message in the Movies
13th ” 13th covers a lot of ground in its brief running time, but it is best described as a film of righteous indignation rather than a harsh polemic. We hear from Democrats and Republicans, liberals and conservatives, activists and professors. Voices include historian Henry Lewis Gates, former radical Angela Davis, controversial senator Charlie Rangel and conservative pundits Newt Gingrich and Grover Norquist. All agree that something must be done.
The film intends not only to shake up the viewer but also to offer up the hopeful possibilities of reform. Jesus is bold enough to include the visitation of prisoners as a means of encountering God’s presence (Matthew 25:36). As people of faith, should we do any less? .“ For full review.
- Church Secretary, West Lafayette UMC
- Director of Children’s Ministry, Strongsville UMC
- Youth Ministry Director, Greensburg UMC
- Modern Music Worship Director, Belden UMC
- Pianist and/or Organist, York UMC
Events – Nov. 7-Nov. 21
Southern Hills District Lay Servant Training
Holiday Bazaar, St. Paul UMC
Craft & Vendor Show, Brookfield UMC
Sibshops, Greensburg UMC
Welcome Service for Bishop Malone, Ashland First UMC
Fall-For-All Clergy Retreat
Clergy/Laity Training to Aid Veterans, Otterbein UMC
Gospel Bluegrass Jam, Manchester UMC
Canal District Lay Servant Training, Living Hope UMC
Early Response Training, Canfield UMC
Souper Bowl 5K Run/Walk, Atwood Lake Park
Thanksgiving Dinner, James S. Thomas UMC
Dates to Remember
Confirmation Retreat, Camp Wanake
Please pray for the families of:
Linda Van Meter, spouse of James Van Meter, who died October 24, 2016 and
Alice L. Dumm, surviving spouse of Rev. Durlan Dumm, who died October 30, 2016.
To subscribe please send your request to Lois Speelman. Information from this E-News may be copied and used in your local church.
The next scheduled edition of the E-News will be November 21, 2016. Deadline to submit an article is November 16.