By Rick Wolcott*
On a recent sunny afternoon at Lakeside the smell of mulch and flowers and the sound of table saws and hammers filled the air as last minute preparations were underway for the Lakeside Chautauqua summer season.
Inside Hoover Auditorium cameras and video projectors were put in place. Soon they will be used to tell and capture the stories of East Ohio, Youth and West Ohio Annual Conferences.
The 45th session of East Ohio Annual Conference begins June 16. This year’s theme – Jesus Is Calling Us In – focuses on identifying and making disciples of Jesus Christ.
Longtime delegates and attendees will notice several changes at conference this year.
Some of the changes are procedural:
- The Prayer and Praise Service returns after a one-year absence. The service will take place in Hoover Auditorium at 7:00pm Sunday, June 15.
- The Service of Holy Communion and Remembrance has been moved back to 1:30pm on Monday, June 16 in Hoover Auditorium.
- The Clergy Executive Session will begin at 9:00am that day to accommodate the change.
- The 3Cs Mission 5k Run / 1-mile Walk will be held for the first time – starting at 6:00pm Wednesday, June 18 from right outside the doors of Hoover Auditorium.
- The children from Vacation Bible School will sing on the stage of Hoover Auditorium at 11:10am on Thursday, June 19, instead of during the closing worship service.
Some of the changes are structural:
- Annual Conference registration will once again be held in the same Fountain Inn room as always but the former Green Room has a new name – Chautauqua Hall.
- The main gate to the grounds – while bearing the new Lakeside Chautauqua logo – has been returned to its longtime blue paint job after a year of yellow.
- Orchestra Hall has a new digital projector which will enhance your viewing of the movies shown throughout the summer.
Visit the 2014 Annual Conference website to:
- Read the bios of this year’s speakers
- Meet the ordinands and retirees
- View the Live Stream schedule
- Download a copy of the Pre-Conference Workbook
- Study the proposed Resolutions
Jesus Is Calling Us In. Join us for East Ohio Annual Conference June 16-19 at Lakeside Chautauqua.
*Rick Wolcott is director of communications for the East Ohio Conference of The United Methodist Church.