By The East Ohio Conference Delegation*
The Special Session of the General Conference, that has been called to address a way forward for The United Methodist Church on the matter of human sexuality, will be held February 23-26, 2019, in St. Louis, Missouri.
As East Ohio delegates to this Special Session of the General Conference, we recognize the importance of the decisions that will be before us and the impact these decisions will have on each United Methodist church and member. Recognizing this, we invite you to attend and share your thoughts and concerns at one of the five scheduled listening posts that will be held throughout the East Ohio Conference.
The listening posts will consist of a devotion, a brief overview of the process of General Conference, and a review of the report – but the main purpose is for the delegates to listen to you. Below are some questions that may help direct you in how to share your thoughts and concerns.
- What are signs of hope, or causes of anxiety, for you surrounding this Special Session of the General Conference?
- What are signs of hope, or causes of anxiety, for you in a particular plan in the proposed report?
- What would your picture of The United Methodist Church look like for the next generation?
- What is that you want us as delegates to be aware of or take into consideration?
We ask that participants limit their sharing to a couple of minutes so that all who wish to contribute have time to do so. The length of each listening post will depend on the participation of those in attendance but we have reserved 2½ hours. During the time of light refreshments following, you will have an opportunity to speak personally with the delegates who are present.
The listening posts will be:
- Sat., Sept. 8 from 10:00 am – 12:30 pm at Wildare UMC
- Sat., Sept. 29 from 10:00 am – 12:30 pm at Cambridge Christ UMC
- Tues., Oct. 9 from 6:30 – 9:00 pm at New Philadelphia First UMC
- Sat., Oct. 20 from 10:00 am – 12:30 pm at Ashland First UMC
- Tues., Nov. 6 from 6:30 – 9:00 pm at Aldersgate UMC (North Coast)
We would appreciate participants registering in advance to help with our planning but registration is not required to attend the posts. You may register here.
Visit www.eocumc.com/gc for the most up-to-date information on the Special Session of the General Conference. The site is where materials to be considered by the Special Session of the General Conference will be posted when they are made available to the public: these include the report from the Commission on A Way Forward, the recommendation of the Council of Bishops, and other materials.
If you are unable to attend any of the listening posts, you can e-mail the delegation at email@example.com.
Please continue to be in pray for The United Methodist Church and this Special Session of the General Conference.
*The East Ohio delegation is comprised of six clergy members and six lay members elected by Annual Conference.